“The Girl on the Train” takes viewers on a riveting ride

The faithful adaption drags its feet in fulfilling the long-awaited mystery

<p>“The Girl on the Train” brings Paula Hawkins’ critically acclaimed novel to the screens.</p>

“The Girl on the Train” brings Paula Hawkins’ critically acclaimed novel to the screens.

Filled with mystery, lust, obsession, alcohol-fueled passions and self-destruction, “The Girl on the Train” is a film that brings Paula Hawkins’ critically acclaimed novel to the screens. The story follows an alcoholic divorcee, Rachel (Emily Blunt), who finds herself tangled in a web of lies after the death of a woman named Megan (Haley Bennett). The film sews together many fantasy-like portrayals of gorgeous women who are constantly finding themselves wedded to danger. As far-fetched and cliché as this may be, the movie is quite entertaining in terms of its suspense and mystery, once it gets on its feet.

From the very beginning, one can see how director Tate Taylor chose to stray from the book. From little things like Rachel’s choice of alcohol, to bigger things like the setting of the action itself — the story unfolds in the suburbs of New York, rather than London — Taylor seems to have made changes to the story that may have some fans of the novel distressed. Furthermore, one could question how appropriate the casting of the attractive Emily Blunt is to play a character who is meant to be unhealthy and debilitated. While these changes may bother avid fans of Hawkins’ original work, the general plot-line is faithful to the original novel.

Though the beginning of the film is slow because it is narrated by Rachel’s sad and slurred voice, the film gains its footing as soon as each of the main characters are introduced. Taylor remains faithful to a work that was originally written from various perspectives through voice-overs and displaying the name of the character whose perspective that scene will follow. While the attempt to remain devoted to the book’s style is admirable, the chronology of the movie becomes quite confusing, and it’s easy to lose sight of the real mystery at hand and which character is involved with the others.

While some of the ordering of the scenes are confusing, much of the confusion comes from Rachel’s drunk stupors and black-outs, which leave both her and the audience in the dark. This unique distrust and confusion in the main protagonist of the story is also what makes the film so unique and enthralling. Additionally, Blunt’s performance is fantastic and compelling, making the audience sympathize with her melancholic, downward-spiraling life.

Although “The Girl on the Train” may start slow and choppy, and border on the absurd at times, it deserves a chance. Tate Taylor and everyone involved in the film deserve acclaim for taking on such a difficult and uniquely narrated mystery. While viewers must patiently wait for confusing gaps to be filled in, they’ll certainly have fun along the way.