Hall, Williams earn Junior World spots

Two of Virginia's men's basketball standouts earned spots on the USA Men's Junior World Championship team. Second-year players Adam Hall and Chris Williams were among 12 members of the squad.

A third Cavalier, first-year Travis Watson, who was among the 16 finalists, did not participate in the final round of cuts for personal reasons.

Hall and Williams departed for Portugal with the team Friday. The squad will compete in the 16-team FIBA Men's Junior World Championship beginning today. The competition runs through July 25.

The United States has made five previous appearances in the FIBA Men's Junior World Championship. In those appearances, the USA has a combined 31-8 (.795) record. The U.S. has won three gold medals and one silver in that span.

Third recruit commits to Cav football: Rich Bedesem of Council Rock High in Newtown, Pa., has given a verbal commitment to the Cavalier football program. The 6-foot-2, 220-pound linebacker is the third rising high school senior who has verbally committed to the Cavs.

Bedesem reportedly gave his commitment after attending a recent U.Va. football camp. He selected Virginia over Syracuse, Penn State, Boston College and Maryland. Bedesem joins Andrew Hoffman and Trey Jernigan as incoming Cavaliers.

Minnesota set to replace Haskins: Minnesota's men's basketball program is expected to announce its new coach today. Former Golden Gopher skipper Clem Haskins resigned from the post after a much-publicized academic scandal.

Virginia athletic director Terry Holland has been rumored among possible candidates, but he has said he is not interested in the job due to the short timetable for the decision.

Take Two Bobby: Florida State football Coach Bobby Bowden spent some of last week in Toronto playing himself in a Showtime film.

The original movie is about Seminole student-trainer Daniel Huffman, who gave up a chance to play college football when he donated his kidney to his grandmother.

This is at least Bowden's second turn at acting. Many may remember his commercial spots with the popular fast-food chain Hardees.

Magette first first-rounder to sign: Ex-Blue Devil basketball player Corey Magette became the first first-round pick to sign an NBA contract.

Magette, who was the 13th selection overall, signed with the Orlando Magic. The terms were not disclosed. Magette was drafted by Seattle before being traded to Orlando.

Nagel BeDeviled: Duke named Jolene Nagel as its head volleyball coach Tuesday. Nagel has spent the last seven seasons as the head coach at Georgetown.

Nagel was named to replace Linda Grensing. Grensing left the Blue Devils to become the head coach at Iowa State. Nagel owns a career record of 204-134; 119 of those victories came with the Hoyas where she began coaching in 1992.

Armstrong continues strong ride: American Lance Armstrong widened his overall lead in the Tour de France with a fifth-place finish in Stage 10. His advantage climbed to seven minutes and 42 seconds over second-place cyclist Abraham Olano of Spain.

The 10th stage winner was Italy's Giuseppe Guerini, who won by 21 seconds over Pavel Tonkov of Russia. Guerini nearly lost the stage when an over-zealous fan tried to snap his picture. The spectator stood in the middle of the road to snap the photo and caused Guerini to crash to the pavement.

The fan helped Guerini up and pushed him on his way. The Italian held on for the narrow stage victory.