Smith designs Web site involving University suit

Richard Smith, a University student suspended for assaulting third-year College student Alexander "Sandy" Kory Nov. 21 1997, created a Web page this summer detailing his lawsuit against the University.

Smith is seeking $1.25 million in damages against the University and the overturning of his suspension.

According to the site, the Web page's purpose is "to provide information, including court filings, relating to the lawsuit...filed on July 21, 1999 against the University of Virginia for violations of constitutional due process."

Student Council College Rep. Nathan A. Cook said the Web page's uniqueness parallels the uniqueness of the case.

"I've never seen anything like this before, but I've never seen a case like this before either," Cook said.

But Corrie Hall, University Judiciary Committee vice chairwoman for first years, said the Web page serves as an effective publicity tool for Smith.

"It is a clever idea," Hall said. "If he is concerned about telling people about [the lawsuit], that's in his best interest. This is the information age - and more information is better."

University Relations Director Louise Dudley said the site is an effective way for Smith to communicate information.

"One of the things about the Web is that it's a grass roots place" that the public can use as "an electronic bulletin board," Dudley said.

In July, University President John T. Casteen III suspended Smith for two years for his part in the assault.

The site can be accessed at www.richardwallacesmith.com.