ACC crowns Cav's Coleman Player of Week

After leading the field hockey team to an upset victory over No. 10 Duke in their final regular season game Sunday, Cav midfielder Jessica Coleman was named ACC Player of the Week.

Coleman, a second year, leads the team in scoring this season with 21 goals and 10 assists for 52 total points -- the second highest output in school history. Her prodigious offensive production also places her fifth all-time for scoring in a single season.

Cota's suspension leaves Tar Heels thin at point guard

Yesterday North Carolina basketball Coach Bill Guthridge told the Associated Press, "It's pretty hard to play without a point guard."

Because of misdemeanor assault charges brought against stellar starting point guard Ed Cota and his backup Terrence Newby, the Tar Heels might find out just how hard it can be.

The two seniors were suspended indefinitely Monday after each was charged with three counts of assault inflicting serious injury and two counts of simple assault resulting from an altercation at a Halloween party in Chapel Hill early Monday.

Guthridge said Cota and Newby claim they were defending friends and trying to break up the fight.

"I don't have any reason not to believe them, but I want to get all the facts," he said.

With Cota and Newby suspended and point guard Ronald Curry out for the season with an Achilles injury, the Tar Heels' only available point guards are freshman Jon Holmes and a walk-on.

The players' court date is set for Dec. 6, so they potentially could miss the season opener Nov. 22 in the Maui Invitational tournament.

Cota and Newby will not rejoin the team until the incident has been resolved.

Two Seminoles take Player of the Week honors

Against the Cavaliers Saturday, two Florida State players performed well enough to receive weekly accolades from the ACC.

Seminole nose guard Corey Simon had eight tackles, including five solo stops, an interception, a partially blocked punt and a tackle for a loss to earn the Defensive Lineman of the Week award. Punter Keith Cottrell was named Specialist of the Week after averaging 47.8 yards per punt, helping the Seminoles dominate field position in the second half.

Duke quarterback Spencer Romaine passed for 404 yards in a 25-22 victory over Maryland Saturday, earning the ACC Offensive Back of the Week Award. Romaine connected 27 of 42 passes with three touchdown throws. He has averaged 288 yards passing this season.

In other ACC weekly awards, Georgia Tech guard Jason Burks took Offensive Lineman of the Week honors, Clemson corner Dextra Polite snagged the Defensive Back accolade and N.C. State wideout Koren Robinson was named Rookie of the Week.

Sagarin places ACC No. 1 in college football

The ACC can lay factual claim to the title of best conference in college football, at least according to the Sagarin system. The computerized rankings, which help determine the Bowl Championship Series standings, indicate the ACC has both the highest percentage of non-Conference games against BCS teams as well as the best record against those teams.

The ACC also stands second in victories against non-Conference teams ranked in the AP poll. The Big Ten have first place in that category.