Goode's defection causes mixed reaction from delegates, pundits

A week after officially leaving the Democratic Party, U.S. Rep. Virgil Goode (I-5th) has begun to work closely with the Republican Congressional Caucus. Many notable Democrats have accused Goode of caving into redistricting pressure from Republicans in the House. But Larry J. Sabato, government and foreign affairs professor, said Goode's decision "really is philosophical."

Despite his departure from the Democrats, Goode's decision will have "virtually no impact" on his chances of reelection, Sabato said. The Congressman is well liked, and probably would be reelected no matter what his party alliance, he said.

Questions have been raised as to whether Goode's defection from the Democratic Party is symbolic of a general shift in the Virginia electorate away from the Democratic ideology.

Virginia State Sen. Emily Couric (D-Charlottesville) said she disagrees with this assertion.

"The Democratic Party in Virginia is very strong," Couric said. "The will of the voters changes from election to election."

She said Goode's decision to leave the Democratic Party, which was made partly in response to demands from his constituents, did not reflect an earthshaking ideological shift, but rather, "the ebb and flow of the voters."

Sabato said Virginia Democrats have seen better times.

They "are in trouble for a lot of reasons," he said. "Clinton has a lot to do with it. In the South he is extremely unpopular."

However, he added that he does not believe the Democratic Party in Virginia is on its deathbed.