A new shade of University leadership

In the 1950s, segregation began to be lifted not only in schools but in communities, making it possible for blacks and whites to attend the same schools. As this ensued, sudden changes began to occur at the University. Previously an all-white, primarily male institution, it began accepting handfuls of black males in 1955 and each year afterward. Before the close of the 1960s, black males had situated themselves opposite their white classmates both inside and outside the classroom. One such student was the first black Student Council president, James Roebuck.

Roebuck, who earned both his master's degree and Ph.D. in history at the University, served as Council president from 1969 to 1970. He completed undergraduate work at Virginia Union University.

At the time, it seemed more than unusual to serve as head of the student body at a traditional white Southern institution.

"It depends on where you were in the school; in the graduate school it was more diverse -- there were underlying tensions but nothing severe," Roebuck said.

Roebuck's interest in politics and national issues was deeply rooted in his participation in the civil rights movement in Philadelphia, where he grew up. He carried this social activism through undergraduate and graduate school.

"I was interested in government and Student Council at U.Va., and it was the period of activism and civil rights in the country," he said. "It was a sense of having been involved in something that was second nature for me."

Changing attitudes

Before becoming president, Roebuck served as Council vice president from 1968 to 1969. He characterized himself as being very well-liked by other Council members who voted him into office.

He admits he was confident he could win the presidency the following year, despite the fact that there had never been a black Council president. When he won, "it was a definite feeling of personal accomplishment. And it was feeling felt throughout the black community," Roebuck said.

Other black classmates echoed Roebuck's excitement. Fellow black classmate Roland Lynch, who graduated from the University in 1971 as a chemistry major, remembered the small black University community as being both surprised and happy at Roebuck's election.

"There was a great deal of pride; we were so proud that he won," he said.

Part of Lynch's surprise stemmed from the fact that the majority of the voting population at the University was white.

"We weren't sure that a southern conservative white school would vote for him. It was not because of the black vote -- he would definitely get it -- but there weren't enough to vote for him," Lynch said.

Lynch remembers the years from 1955 to 1970 as being a crucial time for achievements within the black community. Roebuck helped black students gain a University status that they hadn't previously enjoyed, he said.

"Anyone who did something on the stance of black folk helped us all out very well, so we looked up to him," Lynch said.

In those days, Lynch and Roebuck attested to the absence of social outlets at the University for blacks, so they would have gatherings at other black students' houses.

Lynch said Roebuck was known for his quiet nature and studious character.

"Roebuck was a real smooth guy, real articulate. He was rather popular," he said.

Paul Gaston, professor of southern history at the University from 1955 to the late 1990s, agrees with Lynch about Roebuck's character.

"He was quiet and very studious and focused and did very well," Gaston said. "He was not given to extravagant language; he was measured and tough, principled but not abrasive."

For that particular time and racial climate, "it was a good combination to have to get along well with everyone," Gaston said.

But as opposed to the University's more tense racial climate characteristic of the late fifties, the late sixties were more amenable to black students.

"There was an easy acceptance to celebrating a black president. It was also easier for him in the graduate school. The road [for black students at the University] was paved by Raymond Gavins," Gaston said. Gavins was the first successful black Ph.D candidate in University history -- he received his doctorate in 1970.

His presidency

Throughout this period of change, Roebuck concentrated his efforts on increasing the enrollment numbers of black University students.

He made efforts to meet accepted black students and dealt with such issues as whether barbers at the University would cut black students' hair. He also helped put the Black Studies program on its feet, with Paul Gaston as chairman. The program survives today as the African American Studies Program.

As Council president in 1969, Roebuck addressed many University concerns other than race.

"Vietnam War was a major issue that brought everything together -- there was more evidence of this with student activists and protestors," Roebuck said.

Other than serving as Council president, he was involved in an earlier version of the current Young Democrats.

His life now

Today, Roebuck is a member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives, a post he has held since 1985.

Even though he lives in Pennsylvania, Roebuck maintains ties to the University. He was one of the founding members of the Walter N. Ridley Scholarship Fund, which awards scholarships based on financial need to prospective black students as a gift from black alumni.

Roebuck is also connected to Charlottesville royalty -- the Dave Matthews Band. His cousin-in-law, Leroi Moore, plays the saxophone in the band.

Though Roebuck's work for the University transpired over 30 years ago, he believes that today's students can carry through with the same vision he emulated then.

"I think that you have to take advantage of your opportunities --working together is not easy, but through the effort of building bridges between the races, you can create social change," he said.