Curry School develops new Web site to train teachers

Curry School of Education professors and graduate students are developing a unique Web site and instructional program designed to help teacher educators.

The project, CaseNEX, is an interactive site designed to help professors and teachers across the country learn how to educate future and current teachers in handling various classroom situations.

The site will offer different cases to show teachers how to deal with issues ranging from technology use in the classroom to questions concerning special education.

The cases inform teachers about anything that could take place or is taking place in the classroom, Education School Asst. Dean Joanne Herbert said.

CaseNEX "teaches people how to be good problem solvers," Herbert said.

The project developers have been working on the program for the last 10 years.

Its official Web site was established in 1996. Under the leadership of Herbert and Education School Prof. Robert McNergney, along with a group of University graduate students, CaseNEX plans to become its own business.

Project leaders hope to spin off CaseNEX from the University as a for-profit education venture during the summer of 2001, McNergney said. The new company will sell training, curriculum and instruction to other institutions of higher learning, he said.

"We hope to offer high quality case-based education across the country," McNergney said.

Many of those involved with the CaseNEX project are taking a class offered by the Darden School. The instruction will help develop a business plan to facilitate the new company's foundation and growth.

They are learning how to develop CaseNEX to make it marketable and more accessible to educators across the country, Herbert said.

"The biggest challenge will be articulating everything CaseNEX can offer to educators," Education School doctoral candidate Marsha Gartland said.

CaseNEX also faces the problem of future funding. The program receives its funds through grants provided by the University and the Curry School Foundation.

Response to the CaseNEX program from faculty and students has been good, Herbert said.