T.G.I. FRIDAYS AFTER 5

The conundrum of finding cheap entertainment, particularly good musical entertainment, constantly looms over the heads of college students. Many students paid as much as $60 to see Dave Matthews perform at Scott Stadium in April, but few can afford to dish out such money on a weekly basis. But Charlottesville boasts "central Virginia's premier free outdoor concert series," a weekly event at the Downtown Mall known as Fridays After 5. This public shindig provides a venue for students, locals and even out-of-towners to enjoy music from bands near and far.

From 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. every Friday evening from April 27 until Oct. 5, an average of 4,500 revelers gather at the Downtown Mall's amphitheater to hear bands play music ranging from funk to bluegrass to rock 'n' roll. On a sunny day, as many as 6,000 people may show up, and 8,000 people heard the 2001 mystery band, WAR.

"The kids [who come to Fridays After 5] are always the first ones dancing," said Karen Thorsey, social events coordinator for the Charlottesville Dowtown Federation.

Friday, June 29 was no exception. A smattering of small children frolicked in front of the stage even before the opening act, Charlottesville's Guano Boys, started to perform. And when the band began to play their mix of reggae, soca, ska, and calypso, adults of all ages joined in.

For each member of the Guano Boys, playing at Fridays After 5 was not a new experience, but playing together was.

"Everyone in the band has played here before, but with different bands," explained Chris Leva, who sings and plays the electric and acoustic guitars and the banjo.

The band members believed playing at Fridays After 5 would help them succeed in the future and garner exposure after playing to a diverse crowd.

"Playing for different kinds of people at events such as this helps us get the private gigs that pay musicians what they deserve," Leva said. "The more you play, the more you get to play."

The "largest trio you'll ever meet" took the stage following the Guano Boys. But the motto of Fredricksburg's Dixie Power Trio does not refer to the members' football-player physiques; rather, this "trio" is composed of four members. The dancing continued as the band played its mix of cajun, jazz and zydeco, or "rock 'n' roll with an accordion and washboard," according to band member Zachary Smith.

As the music continued, so did the dancing - a mix of small children, senior citizens, college students and adults danced to songs from new and old recordings played by the Dixie Power Trio. Charlottesville resident Rydell Payne said he enjoyed the band's songs.

"They have a unique sound, and my boys [ages 2 and 4] really enjoyed getting out there and dancing," Payne said. "It's a great family activity."

Third-year University students John Shedden, Alexis Berntsen and Travis Goad also got their groove on to the music.

"It was great to see the diversity of Charlottesville brought together to dance a little, listen to some music, and have some fun," Berntsen said.

Fridays After 5 proclaims that it is "still free after all these years," yet students like Berntsen are evidence that the local event has evolved since it began 13 years ago.

For example, the age demographic of Fridays After 5 has changed significantly as more teenagers and younger children attend the concerts.

"We have more of a family atmosphere," than in previous years, Thorsey said.

As the average age of the attendees and subsequently the number of beer drinkers has decreased, the prices of beer have increased from $2.50 to $3 a cup. Currently about one-third of the audience consumes an average of two drinks per person, Thorsey said.

With the decline in beer drinkers, corporate sponsorships have come to play more of a pivotal role in offsetting the costs of Fridays After 5. Sponsors now include local businesses such as Starr Hill Brewing Co. and the C-ville Weekly, regional establishments such as the Virginia Lottery and national corporations such as MTV.

But Fridays After 5 still finds the funds to support charity as well. Adults must line up to receive wristbands designating that they are of legal drinking age. On June 29, Ray Carey checked IDs and issued wristbands, simultaneously providing a service needed for Fridays After 5 and raising money for his community service fraternal group.

Carey and other volunteers would each be making between $8.67 and $10 per hour for their organization. Last year the local charities working at Fridays After 5 received over $35,000 from the Charlottesville Downtown Foundation.

Meanwhile, Grier Runyan manned a trailer for Liquid Vegetarian Cafe and Juice Bar. Fridays After 5 charges Liquid $100 every Friday they sell their products, Runyan said.

"Business definitely depends on the weather," she said. "People think Fridays After 5 isn't going to happen if it rains."

Despite menacing clouds and sprinkles in the early afternoon, rain held off on June 29, and the enthusiastic audience enjoyed the nice weather and music.

Although pretty weather is not guaranteed, the return of the crowds seems to be. "People seem like they just can't wait to come," Carey said.