News In Brief

Neurologist looks for cure to Alzherimer's disease

University Neurologist Christine Thiffault's contributions to the study of Alzheimer's disease may bring those suffering from the disease closer to a cure.

Thiffault recently produced a videotape depicting cells from a healthy brain, which showed the mitochondria of the cells in rapid motion when placed under certain conditions. But brain cells with Alzheimer's disease remained still under the same conditions.

The results of the video provided evidence that damage to the mitochondria of the brain cells may be one of the causes Alzheimer's disease.

Mitochondria contain DNA genes that have a distinct identity from the DNA located in the nucleus of the cell. Thiffault's adviser, Dr. James Bennett, said he believes that aberrations arising in the genes of the mitochondria attribute to most Alzheimer's cases.

ITC unveils new wireless computing network

Students may have another excuse to study on the Lawn this month when ITC reveals its new wireless-computing network.

The network will allow students to take laptops to a variety of places on Grounds and still check e-mail and access the Internet.

To access the new service, laptops will need to be equipped with a certain type of wireless card. Once the card is in place, students will be able to access the Internet.

Phase I of this project involves the setup of between 100 and 200 wireless access points at University libraries and other on-Grounds locations.

This phase now is under way and will support laptops equipped with a Cisco Airpnet 352 wireless card.

-Compiled by Ann-Woods Isaacs