News in Brief

Discussion addresses minorities in education Collegiate activists from across the country joined together to prove their commitment to achieving their goals "by any means necessary" this past weekend at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor.

Members of the Coalition to Defend Affirmative Action and Integration and Fight for Equality By Any Means Necessary held their second national conference on what they consider the new civil rights movement. The conference focused primarily on issues facing minorities in education, including affirmative action policies in college admissions and funding shortages for public school teachers' salaries.

In a Michigan Daily article yesterday, conference participants said that they are not fanatics or revolutionaries, but working to modernize and expand the fight for civil rights for all people.

Conference attendees claimed capitalist corruption serves as the root of many social problems plaguing American society.

"If we have to destroy some things, we'll destroy some things," University of Tennessee student Dumaka Shabazz said in the Michigan Daily.

Students from the University, University of Kentucky and the University of Cincinnati attended the event.

Psychologists join law professors in conference The University's Center for Children, Families, and the Law will host a conference on resolving child custody disputes Feb. 28 through March 1. The conference, called "Resolving Child Custody Disputes: Innovation and Controversy," will bring together child psychologists with law professors from Duke and Harvard Universities.