Grounds for early housing

It's October and we have now been in school for almost two full months. Despite the 2002-2003 school year barely being in full swing, many students have already signed off-Grounds leases and committed to rooming situations for next year, thus eliminating on-Grounds housing from their list of housing options. It has always been a problem for University students because off-Grounds leasing companies start signing very early in the first semester while on-Grounds housing is not determined until late into second semester.

Luckily, the University has recognized this disparity when making housing decisions: Beginning this year, students will apply for on-Grounds housing earlier than in years past. Kudos to the housing division for making a much-needed change in its policy. Now students will have a little more time to decide between on-Grounds and off-Grounds housing before spaces run out in both.

The deadline for upperclassmen who wish to retain their same room was moved from Jan. 21 to Nov. 1 and for those upperclassmen wishing to live in other on-Grounds housing it has been moved from Jan. 23 to Nov. 8.

This is an excellent idea, because now upperclassmen will make their decision for either on-Grounds or off-Grounds housing within the same fall semester time span and can make necessary roommate arrangements with other students making the same decisions. If a student were to suddenly decide to live off Grounds come the November application deadline for University housing, there would still be plenty of other students not committed to a lease yet with whom he or she could room.

Waiting until late January would make that sudden change of heart a lot more difficult due to a scarcity of students wishing to live off Grounds who wait into second semester to commit to a lease. It's reassuring to see that the University is sensitive to this student issue.

The date for first years to turn in intent forms for on-Grounds housing has been moved up from Feb. 6 to Jan. 17. Though not a drastic change, it will still allow those precious few weeks in which alternate housing can be arranged in case things fall through.

There is also a notable disparity between the November deadline for upperclassmen and the January one for first years. Though it may seem unfair at first, those extra few months may prove beneficial to first years in deciding their housing.

Waiting until second semester will allow first years to get to know their potential future roommates a little bit better before entering into a year-long agreement with them. Fallings out can occur, new friendships can be kindled and compatible living styles can be recognized all over the course of those extra weeks between early November and mid-January. First years need the chance to first become accustomed to the University in general, as well as their classes, dorm life, new friends and dining halls; once a good routine has been established they can sit down and rationally think about future living arrangements.

Just six years ago, leases for off-Grounds housing were not signed until after the winter holidays, many months later than what we are faced with now. Leasing agencies have moved up signing dates in response to student demand, most now taking place in early October. With the on-Grounds housing office moving up their application dates, hopefully students will take their time to consider the two living options more carefully and won't rush into signing the first available option presented to them by friends in October.

If students take their time to weigh the advantages of both living on and off Grounds, they may put more consideration into signing a lease too early, as well as waiting for on-Grounds housing until it is too late for other options.

All of this consideration, if rightly executed by students, could push rental companies to see their rush of applicants later in the fall semester, closer to the on-Grounds housing deadline. This would be beneficial because it would not slight the advantages of on-Grounds housing, with students worrying about not procuring anywhere to live and thus rushing into the first off-Grounds option they find in October.

It also would help the issue of people backing out of leases when on-Grounds housing decisions do come out and students may have also signed an off-Grounds lease "just in case."

We should no longer whine about the hassle of having to wait to sign up for on-Grounds housing. The housing division has been very sympathetic in recognizing our concerns and moving up the application dates.

If students would just take the time to more carefully consider the advantages and disadvantages of both on-Grounds and off-Grounds living

-- and stop rushing to sign leases in October

-- the two decision periods could one day overlap and decisions wouldn't have to be so dramatic for students. One day, maybe housing won't be so much of a hassle.

(Alex Roosenburg's column appears

Mondays in The Cavalier Daily.

She can be reached at aroosenburg@

cavalierdaily.com.)