Sports in Brief

Men's golf finishes fifth at Hawaii Fall Classic

The Virginia men's golf team, the defending champion of the Hawaii Fall Classic, finished fifth in this year's competition that ended Tuesday.

UNLV won the team championship with a seven-under 857, followed by Tennessee with a three-under 861. South Carolina took third with a one-under 863. Washington State finished fourth with a 10-over 874, while the Cavaliers finished one shot behind at 875, 11 shots over par.

Washington State's Dustin White took individual medalist honors with a four-under 212. UNLV golfers took second and third as J.C. Deacon finished second with a three-under 213 and Mitch Carlson shot a two-under 214.

Virginia was led by senior Justin Goodhue with a two-over 218 to tie for eighth place.

Track and field names new assistant coaches

The Virginia track and field program announced the hiring of Ron Garner and Kimberlee Turko as assistant coaches to head coach Randy Bungard yesterday.

Garner, who will coach the throwing events for Virginia, was head coach at Clemson from 1998-1999 and earned ACC Coach of the Year honors in 1999. Before that, he was an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator at Illinois for six and a half years. He was previously an assistant coach at Clemson and Christopher Newport.

Turko, a 2002 University graduate, earned All-ACC honors in the heptathlon and the 60-meter hurdles during her Virginia career. She led the team in the 100-meter high hurdles in 2000 and 2001.

-- Compiled by Chip Knighton