Area police receive $190,000 grant

Charlottesville and Albemarle County police were granted a total of $190,000 this week for emergency communication equipment.

The money will be used to purchase new in-car cameras and new communications tools for the area police forces.

The cameras usually are used to monitor the behavior of both police officers and suspects, especially in cases of police brutality accusations.

Rep. Virgil Goode, R-5th, presented a mock check to Charlottesville and Albemarle County officials Tuesday representing money given to improve the police forces. The money was distributed from the federal budget.

"The money came from the department of Justice," City Manager Gary O'Connell said.

Local governments are allowed to apply for federal grants for the purpose of improving their communities.

The funding is a one-time grant that Goode helped secure for the district.

"It's a federal grant that goes to cities around the country and we were designated to receive it," O'Connell said.

The city and county police will receive the money within the next two weeks, O'Connell said.

Part of the funds will go toward upgrading communication equipment so that civilians will be unable to use scanners to listen to police radios.

Police are enthusiastic about the funding and the new opportunities it will bring.

The grant will allow the county police to add 33 cameras to their fleet, for a total of 68 cars outfitted with video equipment.

Charlottesville police are setting aside $40,000 for in-car computers, while the county has earmarked $50,000.

Charlottesville Police Chief Tim Longo and Albemarle police Chief John Miller could not be reached for comment.

Forth-year College student Will Sowers, chief of Student Watch, said the new technology will decrease the delay in police response.

"The police will now be able to assist students more readily, whether their car was vandalized or computer stolen, as the technology will allow quick access to outstanding warrants and other vital information," Sowers said. "It'll also make traffic stops faster. They'll be able to pull up driving records instantly rather than waiting over the radio."