Professor Profile: Dying to teach

"Sociology of Death and Dying" -- how morbid.

That is just the response that sociology and religious studies lecturer Justin Holcomb said he normally receives whenever he mentions the class he teaches.

"The reason I [teach] 'Death and Dying' is because America is both a death-denying and death-obsessed culture," Holcomb said. "I've always said that asking the death question is a window into other issues. 'We die how we live' type of thing -- it's a window into American culture."

Despite the course's title, Holcomb said the course really is not as morbid as it sounds. Instead, the class discusses how different cultures deal with death.

"Death is a tear in the fabric of society," Holcomb said, adding that the course looks at the differences and similarities between "how different cultures actually mend that tear."

Holcomb has been at the University for three years and said he has enjoyed his time here. Originally from Sarasota, Fla., he attended Southeastern College as an undergraduate. He then earned two masters degrees from the Reformed Theological Seminary and later attended Emory University for a doctorate in religion and comparative studies.

"One of the reasons I like teaching is that I saw a survey a long time ago that said that college courses offer little options for students to be able to investigate the things that matter most," Holcomb said. "Talking about death all the time, it forces you to ask the important questions."

In addition to the fact that he enjoys the material he lectures on, Holcomb also mentioned that he likes the opportunity of talking with students, discussing topics such as what constitutes a successful life.

"My motto for many of my courses is to 'make the strange familiar and the familiar strange,'" Holcomb said.

Studying about and teaching Death and Dying, taught him to appreciate life and to "live each day like it could be my last," he said.

In a society where discussion of death is not very common, Holcomb said he wants students to leave his class more comfortable with the concept and aspects of death.

Quoting his favorite line from "Fight Club," Holcomb said he hopes students learn "to know, not fear, that they are going to die."

Outside the lecture hall, Holcomb said he enjoys participating in as many student organizations as possible. He visits Sudan ever summer to volunteer, so he got involved with Students Taking Action Now: Darfur.

Recently, Holcomb also participated in the Baptist Student Union's Sexy Legs contest last week.

"I will do apparently anything for student organizations," he said, laughing.

Holcomb did not win the competition, but he did come in second place.

"I lost to Hazel," he said. "Apparently she calls everyone 'Sugar,' so one of my students said, 'If you referred to everyone as "Sugar," maybe you would've gotten a little more attention.'"