Former student pleads guilty to extortion

A former University graduate student in the nuclear engineering program pleaded guilty to extortion in Charlottesville Federal Court Monday for charges stemming from his time at the University.

After negotiating a plea agreement with the prosecution, Charles Bly was charged with extortion, one of five charges originally brought against him.

Extortion "is a law that is uniquely federal in that it involves placing a letter in the U.S. mail that contains certain elements," Bly's attorney Willis Spaulding said. "That's why it was in federal court."

Bly was arrested in January of 2004 after sending a 10-page letter with pictures of target practice to 50 people, including public officials including Gov. Mark R. Warner and U.S. Education Secretary Roderick Paige, and University officials including President John T. Casteen, III and colleagues in the nuclear engineering department.

"It did contain a request for office space, parking space, etcetera, as well as compensation for some losses that he felt he incurred," Spaulding said. "Based on that and the somewhat implicit threats -- there were no explicit threats -- that were contained in the letter, the prosecution felt that they had a case of extortion."

According to Bly's letter and his attorney, he made appeals to the University to bring forth concerns about the way he and other students were being treated.

"The road to jail for him was paved with good intentions to bring to light what he viewed was poor treatment of students and himself," Spaulding said.

Former University Engineering Prof. Jack Brenizer, a former colleague and former chair of Bly's graduate committee, said Bly's feelings toward the University had been building for some time.

"He had gone through the appeals process through the University to bring forth his concerns, and at each time, they did not agree with his position," he said.

In previous Cavalier Daily coverage of Bly's case, it was reported that his letter contained complaints about his work environment and the behavior of his colleagues as well as references to violence.

"Sorry U.Va Counsel Mr. Paul Forch, Esq., bullets are far cheaper and much more decisive," the letter stated. "A person with my modest means and abilities can stand at a distance of two football fields and end elements of a long-standing dispute with the twitch of my index finger."

The letter accuses former University Nuclear Engineering Prof. Roger Rydin of stealing Bly's research.

"Rydin is a thief of intellectual property who believed he would not be caught by anyone who gives a damn about justice, and he was nearly right," the letter stated.

The letter also accused Rydin and Brenizer of creating a hostile environment for Bly.

Bernizer said he was disappointed Bly felt the way he did.

"I think he was given a lot of opportunities to get his studies in order -- more than normal -- to get on with his Ph.D. program," he said. "I was disappointed that he felt that he had been wronged by the University."

The maximum sentence for extortion is 20 years in jail. Although the sentencing is at the discretion of the presiding judge, the defense is seeking home confinement because of Bly's poor health conditions, according to Bly's attorney.

"Mr. Bly's position is that he was surprised and now extremely sorry that the letter was viewed as threatening," Spaulding said.