USA OLYMPIC ROUND-UP

As of yesterday, the United States has won a total of 15 medals in the Winter Olympics, including seven gold medals, five silver medals and three bronze medals.

Ted Ligety won the gold medal in combined Alpine skiing despite a lackluster preliminary performance. During the final rounds of competition, Ligety had the fastest time of 43.84 seconds. Two leading competitors' unfortunate circumstances contributed to Ligety's success: Austrian favorite Benjamin Raich skied off course during the final run, and American Bode Miller was disqualified for straddling a gate during his first run.

Shaun White beat teammate Danny Kass to win the gold medal in the halfpipe competition. A competitor from Finland won the bronze medal, prohibiting the American team from repeating its medals sweep in the event in 2002.

Seth Wescott eked out a win in the snowboard cross competition, beating Slovakia's Radoslav Zidek by only the length of half a board.

Lindsey Jacobellis nearly won the women's gold medal in snowboard cross for the American team, but came in second after falling upon attempting a flashy jump near the end of the course.

Hannah Teter and Gretchen Bleiler won the gold and silver medals, respectively, for the women's halfpipe team. American Kelly Clark, who finished first in the qualifying round, failed to place third after slipping after her last jump. She finished 0.9 points short of the bronze medal.

American men are experiencing great success in the speed skating races thus far. Joey Cheek won the gold medal in the 500 meter race as well as the silver medal in the 1,000 meter race. During the 500 meter competition, Cheek was the only competitor to complete the race in 35 seconds, a feat he accomplished during both rounds of competition. He beat his closest competitor, Russian Dmitry Dorofeyev, by 0.65 seconds, an unusually large margin in the sport.

Chad Hedrick won the gold medal in the 5,000 meter speed skating race. Hedrick will compete in other events later this week, including anchoring a three-man team race tomorrow.

Shani Davis beat teammate Joey Cheek to win the 1,000 meter race. Davis is the first African-American to win an individual gold medal in Winter Olympic history. Davis was originally scheduled to compete in the three-man team race, but decided to drop out of the race in order to focus on his individual competitions.

By finishing third, Toby Dawson won the only American medal in men's moguls. Teammate Jeremy Bloom, having achieved mediocre results, is expected to return to America and participate in an NFL scouting event in Indianapolis next week.

Apolo Anton Ohno finished third behind two South Korean competitors in the short track speed skating race.