Virginia achieves success early in the season

Although it is early in the track and field season, Virginia's track and field team is already racking up several accomplishments.

At the first meet, held Jan. 12 and Jan. 13 at Virginia Tech, junior Billie Jo Grant set a school record with her shot put throw of 52-7 1/2 and senior Meggie Schuelke took first place in the high jump with a jump of 5-8 3/4.

At the Maryland Invitational on Jan. 20, Schuelke again took first place in the high jump with another jump of 5-8 3/4. On the men's side, sophomore Yemi Ayeni won the shot put competition.

At the Patriot Games, held Jan. 27 at George Mason University, several athletes took top honors in their respective events. Senior Erin Crawford was a double champion in the 60-meter hurdles and the open quarter. Sophomore Amy Bilmanis had a personal best weight toss of 14.68 meters to take first place and sophomore Jeff McClurg took home first in the pole vault. Additionally, the men's four by 800-meter squad and the women's 4 by 400-meter squads won their relays.

This early success of the women's eam comes despite the fact that many teammates are new to the scene.

"I think we have an experienced half of the team and then a young half of the team," Crawford said. "I feel like we can only get better. We can only move up because of the experience and a lot of the talent on the team."

Crawford is competing in the short hurdles for the first time since high school. Crawford believes that the schools to watch in the ACC this season are Florida State, North Carolina, and Miami.

Virginia head coach Randy Bungard discussed the lofty goals of his teams this season.

"Our goal every year is to do at least as well as the year before. Our middle and long distance runners are really strong. Our goal is to finish in the top three of the ACC. We have one of the best teams in the country in our conference in Florida State. Then its Clemson, but after that it is up for grabs," Bungard said.

The women's team, however, may find it more difficult to make such an accomplishment.

"We have a much younger team on the women's side," Bungard said. "Our key players like Tomika Ferguson and Erin Crawford, they're going to be key for us. Our heavy hitters are going to have to do what they do best. The top three on the women's side is attainable but it's going to be scratch and claw. There isn't a lot of room for mistakes."

Bungard also spoke about his team's achievements at the Patriot Games.

"[For the men's team], this weekend went really well," Bungard said. "The triple jumpers used a short approach to work on their technical approach. That way we are prepared for this weekend in New York. With a lot of the young guys especially, we're trying to see how these guys will adapt to running in college."

The New York weekend is the next meet for the track and field team. The Cavaliers travel to the Armory Collegiate Invitational this weekend. The meet should be a good measuring stick for the team as they begin to face ACC foes.

"The big test is going to be at the Armory, and it will really help us prepare for [the] ACC's," Crawford said.