Cutting through the smoke

Last year the University implemented a smoking policy meant to reduce the effects of secondhand smoke. The policy states that "smoking is prohibited inside facilities owned or leased by the University and in University-owned vehicles." The policy goes further, stating that smoking is also "prohibited in any outside area adjacent to a facility whose configuration and/or other physical conditions allow smoke either to enter and affect the internal environment or to unduly affect the environment of those entering or exiting the facility."

Nearly a year since the implementation of this policy, key components have failed to be realized. Parts of the policy that deal with smoking outside of University buildings are blatantly violated with little action taken to enforce the rules. As a result of this lack of implementation and enforcement, secondhand smoke is still adversely affecting the health and quality of life of University students.

It is the responsibility of the Office of Environmental Health and Safety to fully implement and enforce the smoking policy, and more action should be taken. Steps like greater public education about the policy and greater enforcement can easily be taken in order to fully implement the University's policy. Moreover, the Office of Environmental Health and Safety should engage and inform the student population about their role in enforcing the policy. These simple steps will lead to measurable results and will improvement the health of everyone on Grounds.

The greatest failure in the implementation of the smoking policy has been regarding smoking outside University buildings. The policy clearly states that smoking is prohibited near University buildings, especially near entrances and exits. However, everyday numerous individuals violate this policy by smoking near buildings and therefore giving off harmful secondhand smoke.

Although these smokers are partly to blame, the Office of Environmental Health and Safety enables this behavior by sending contradictory signals. Many of the mandated "no smoking" signs outside of buildings are actually on top on ashtrays. I am not advocating an increase in cigarette butts around by getting rid of all ashtrays, but it makes no sense to ban smoking outside of buildings and then have ashtrays at the entrance of those same buildings.

The first step towards solving the problem of secondhand smoke at the University is to fully implement the smoking policy. The Office of Environmental Health and Safety should put up more signs and notices indicating to smokers that it is against University policy to smoke near buildings. Some sort of publicity campaign should also be undertaken informing the University population about the details of the smoking policy. For example, those hypocritical ashtrays could be replaced with notices that smoking near buildings will no longer be tolerated. The shock of not being able to put out their cigarettes at the entrance of buildings will send a strong message to smokers. Moreover, the Office of Environmental Health and Safety should also create more clearly designated smoking areas on Grounds. These areas could give smokers a place to smoke on Grounds without distributing others. These designated smoking areas will give smokers a strong message that there are more appropriate places to smoke.

However, a fully implemented policy is pointless unless that policy is also enforced. The Office of Environmental Health and Safety must take greater steps to actively inform and if necessary punish those who smoke outside of University buildings. This may include informing police officers and other University employees to look for and deter smoking outside of buildings.

According to the Office Environmental Health and Safety, students also have their part in reporting individuals that break the policy as well as reporting locations that are frequented by smokers. The Office of Environmental Health and Safety should work more closely with students to ensure that those who violate the policy are held accountable.

Working together, students and the Office of Environmental Health & Safety can fully implement the University's smoking policy and therefore improve the quality of life on grounds. The smoking policy represents a commitment by the University to the short and long term health of students and employees. The stakes are simply too high for the University not to keep its commitments to its own smoking policy.

Sam Shirazi's column appears Monday in The Cavalier Daily. He can be reached at sshirazi@cavalierdaily.com.