Rushing to success

ASKED to write this article for the summer edition of The Cavalier Daily, I quickly found myself faced with a problem. How do I find a message about Greek life applicable to incoming first years but also salient for Greek and non-Greek students with several years of previous University experience?

I'll start at the beginning. The first University fraternity, Delta Kappa Epsilon, was founded in 1852, which makes the fraternity system one of the most long-standing pieces of the student experience. By the turn of the 20th Century, the area around Carr's Hill and Rugby Road became designated specifically for fraternity housing. Soon thereafter, in 1934, the Inter-Fraternity Council (IFC) was created to strengthen the system through policy, programming and education. Directed and administered solely by students, our fraternity system embodies the cherished and unique privilege of student self-governance.

The IFC includes 29 social fraternities with a total membership of well over 1500 men. Our three governing branches include a governing board of 17 elected officers, the Presidents Council and the IFC Judiciary Committee.

Each year, the IFC organizes a Fall and Spring Rush, which brought out a combined 800 men this past year. Our annual philanthropy, the Crimson War Blood Drive, was recognized state-wide for its collection of close to 900 usable units of blood. Additionally, the IFC supports events such as the Mid-Autumns Carnival, the Inter-Greek Habitat House and Greek Weekend, just to name a few.

Many students come to the University with preconceived notions of Greek life, and many of these surround the social aspect of fraternities. Oftentimes these stereotypes may not represent the true experience. Certainly the social aspect should not be devalued, for a central aim of all fraternities is the cultivation of life-long friendships and a common bond built upon these social endeavors.

What may be less known are some of the amazing contributions in other realms that fraternities and fraternity men make to the University and the surrounding Charlottesville community. Few probably realize that the all-IFC GPA has consistently been higher than that of the general University GPA; in last year's fall semester, 44 percent of IFC men were recognized on the Dean's List. In the past year, IFC fraternities, on average, each volunteered over 300 hours of community service and raised a combined $100,000 through various philanthropies. Additionally, IFC men spend their time involved in a wide range of activities, including Honor, UJC, Student Council, Madison House and varsity athletics.

Students choose to join fraternities for a variety of reasons, leading to a truly diverse group of houses that all offer the fraternity experience in a different way. However, a commonality exists in that our chapters all promote brotherhood, scholarship, student leadership and ultimately excellence. Most Greek men would agree in the formative benefits of membership, and I believe that the system as a whole is greater than the sum of its parts. All students, outside of first-year students, are able to participate in Fall Rush, which will begin the third week of September. First years, along with any other students, may participate in Spring Rush.

To the current IFC students, I would like to thank you all for the contributions that you make, and I would encourage you to continue your individual and chapter accomplishments in the coming year. To the non-IFC students, I would certainly welcome you to form a relationship with the IFC and to take part in our annual events. We are always looking to get further involved with different student groups and the greater University as a whole.

To the incoming first year class, congratulations on your acceptance to the University, for you are about to join a place unlike any other in the nation. I would certainly encourage you to consider joining a Greek organization, but more importantly, I would simply encourage you to get involved wherever your passions lie. A well-known alumnus, Pete Gray, once reflected upon his time at the University, saying, "It is the opportunity to do as you please, with few or no restrictions. It is the opportunity to succeed or fail solely because of what you decide to do