Piecing together the puzzle

When Indiana took a timeout with three minutes left in Virginia's 47-7 obliteration of the Hoosiers, I just had to take a moment and reflect on the win. So, I stepped down a couple rows of bleachers to an empty spot (why are students leaving during a win?), laid down and closed my eyes. I asked my girlfriend and friends if the score was really 47-7, or was I simply dreaming? My fourth year of football as a student started out tough with the loss to William & Mary, so I just had to soak in this victory. Perhaps there is hope for a successful football team during my final year here at the University after all.

When one contrasts the loss to William & Mary with the win against Indiana, the seemingly astonishing turnaround can be overwhelming and somewhat inexplicable, but I think it's pretty clear that the Cavaliers have been improving little by little each game. Saturday, I think we saw the combination of an offense that's starting to click playing against a porous defense - the Hoosier 'D' now ranks 70th in the nation, giving up 370.5 yards per game.

In an attempt to make sense of the enigma that is the Cavalier football team, I'm going to summarize some reasons for why I think Virginia is currently playing solid football.

Offensive line changes

It's important to reiterate the improvement of the beasts in the trenches. After several years of watching football, I'm a firm believer that the offensive line dictates the play of the offense. The greatest skill position players can be reduced to average-at-best without an effective offensive line. When offensive coordinator Gregg Brandon brought in his spread schemes, the linemen used wider splits. I'm not sure of the tactical advantages this is supposed to offer but I heard before the season began that with wider splits, running lanes are naturally bigger. Apparently though, the lanes also were so big that defenders could barrel through and disrupt everything the Virginia offense was trying to do. This type of O-line formation works for some teams, but I don't think the Cavaliers have the personnel to use it right away. A line with wider spacing needs quick, agile, presumably smaller linemen. Cavalier offensive lines have been great at power running games in the past, but I'm not so sure they have been too fleet afoot. I think the improvements in the offensive line are the foundation for the current success of the Cavalier offense.

Letting Mikell be Mikell

I waited with baited breath Saturday for running back Mikell Simpson to give a sign that his injury was not too serious and erupted with the rest of the Wahoo faithful when he gave a thumbs up as he was carted off the field. "Juice" has obviously been an integral part of the team's last two wins, but even when the offensive line seemed to be struggling against William & Mary and TCU, Simpson was great, averaging 4.9 yards per carry in those two contests. The problem was that whoever was calling plays was not getting the ball to Simpson enough - he had only 13 rushes combined in those two games. Against North Carolina, Simpson ran for 100 yards on 20 carries, and he compiled 86 yards on 15 rushes Saturday. Simpson has been getting more touches, and it has shown in the stat box. Hopefully Simpson's injury isn't serious, and he'll be able to play against Maryland, as he is an integral part of the team.

Synergy between Sewell and the big uglies

Part of the emergence of Jameel Sewell as an efficient quarterback has been because of the improvement of the offensive line. I think the line has played a larger role in Sewell's success than in Simpson's, as indicated by the stats. Simpson has just been getting more carries, but Sewell's numbers as a whole have improved drastically. Against William & Mary and TCU, Sewell completed 17 of 35 passes for 200 yards, two touchdowns and four picks. During the last three games, Sewell has completed 57 of 100 passes for 756 yards, three touchdowns and one pick. Saturday, Sewell put together the most masterful game of his career, completing 20 of 30 passes for 308 yards; that performance came three weeks after the senior threw for a career-high 312 against Southern Miss while completing 24 of his 46 attempts. Most importantly, Sewell has been sacked 10 times during the last three games after being sacked eight times during the TCU game alone. In addition to the line giving Sewell better protection, I think there is something to be said for the quarterback shaking off the rust he accumulated while not playing during the 2008 season. I'm sure it's been difficult to get back into the flow of things, but Sewell seems to be crisper with his throws and surer of himself each week. The receiving corps also should not be overlooked. The receivers are getting open more often and dropping fewer passes.

A-Grohing defense

I've always thought Groh-coached defenses played well, and this year's installment is finally living up to the others after a shaky start to the season. The front seven are starting to play as well as the secondary, which was touted as one of the best in the ACC coming into the season. I didn't think this defense was bad even after the 0-3 start, and with the improvements of the offense, the defense can catch its breath and has more time to go over adjustments on the sideline. I don't know if many changes have been made on defense between games thus far, but the last two weeks, the defense just has been looking a lot more active. It ranks 25th in the nation in yards allowed despite subpar efforts in the three losses.

Special teams playing special

The special teams play was supposed to shore up under coach Ron Prince and it has started to after a dismal effort in the loss to Southern Miss, in which the unit was at least party responsible for Virginia blowing its 17-point lead. While Jimmy Howell has continued to boom punts, the coverage units have gotten stingier. And for the first time since Chris Gould was the kicker in 2007, the field goal unit has found consistency with placekicker Robert Randolph, who has made all seven of his field goal attempts so far.

Versatile Vic

After the William & Mary game when Vic Hall was injured, I dejectedly told my friends that I hoped he would still get used somehow because it would be a waste of a great athlete not to play him during his senior year. Thankfully, Virginia is doing just that. Hall has seen time as a receiver during the last two games, even leading the team in receiving yards against Indiana while catching his first touchdown pass. I think I actually like Hall better at receiver than at quarterback or on defense. Being small and quick, Hall can scoot out into the open field and is tough to cover for secondaries. He is a superb weapon and gives defenses something else to think about when they are preparing for Virginia's offense. Also, Hall embodies the spirit of this team in much the same way running back Cedric Peerman did last year, and having him involved gives a great emotional boost to this team.

Zero turnovers

Simply put, the Cavs haven't turned the ball over once during the last two games. When you do that, you give yourself a chance every time.

Intangibles

Everyone was counting this team down and out, and once again, it has fought back. The Cavs still have a ways to go before they compete for an ACC crown or a bowl appearance, but they are definitely making strides. Hopefully they can keep it going next week at Maryland, which would set up a huge contest at home Oct. 24 against Georgia Tech.