Sub-prime housing

Housing for first-years at the University needs a face-lift

Living in dormitories is a pretty significant college experience. Without a doubt, we have met some of our best friends because of our initial college living situations. However, some of the University's on-Grounds housing dampers the first-year experience. While meeting interesting students was incredible, waking up to mold on the window and roaches in the vents were among the worst experiences I've had while on Grounds. Tradition may be the strongest reason for maintaining on-Grounds housing. It's beyond time for the University to rejuvenate housing - starting with dorms - in light of recent health scares.

As we know, the University requires all first-years to reside in on-Grounds dormitories. It's almost as if this requirement entices students to run as fast as they can away from living on Grounds the following years. By November of their first semester, first years are asked to decide where they want to live their second year. For most, even three months is plenty of time to know that on-Grounds housing is nowhere near the best option. The University feels there needs to be student demand to begin legitimate improvements to housing. However, students are not going to want to live on Grounds past first year if the University won't make changes to the dorms. Unfortunately, the University may be hesitant to renovate all the dorms based on the wrong reason.

Because of the rich history surrounding the University, there's definitely a sense of tradition across Grounds. Statues and buildings make it hard to think of anything but Thomas Jefferson sometimes. Yet, the historical aspect of Grounds is such a direct contrast to the dynamic student body. Sometimes the idea of tradition gets in the way of reality. Surrounding the idea of legacy, I'm sure the University loves the idea that students and their parents both live in the same dorms. Truthfully, this idea is very beautiful. It's another bond that students and their parents can share. However, the reality is that the University has completely changed in the three decades between the two generations. For example, our parents would have never submitted homework online or checked e-mail constantly, and today, we can barely function without laptops. So, why should we be content in living in dorms that aren't fit for our generation?

The University's current housing situation is a tradition getting in the way of reality. I am not saying we should disregard tradition, but it no longer makes sense to continue to use these housing facilities. Every year students make the most of whatever living situation they are put in. Students in Cauthen don't feel any less a part of the University community just because their dorm is newer. The University has made small strides with Hereford, Kellogg, and Cauthen, but the number of students living in these dorms put them in the minority. It's important for the majority of students to live in quarters more relevant to the current times.

Dormitories are a breeding ground for illnesses because of the close living quarters. If not for anything else, slowing down the spread of germs should be enough of a reason to at least try improving conditions. Students living in the McCormick Road dormitories are at the most risk for contracting and spreading diseases. I'm sure there has been disease spread through newer dorms, but the age of the dorm is definitely a risk factor in how fast disease will spread within its walls. More recently, H1N1 has been the first of many new diseases thriving in dormitories. Power cleaning is not enough to rid (especially the oldest on-Grounds housing) of bacteria, mold, and other illness that have been popping up there for decades and decades. Newer facilities will have newer techniques for keeping the dorms as clean as possible. Once such example is better air flow