Sophomore

Virginia center Assane Sene (5) shoots a fadeaway jump shot over Xavier guard/forward B.J. Raymond (11).  The #22 ranked Xavier Musketeers defeated the Virginia Cavaliers 84-70 at the John Paul Jones Arena on the Grounds of the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, VA on January 3, 2009.
Virginia center Assane Sene (5) shoots a fadeaway jump shot over Xavier guard/forward B.J. Raymond (11). The #22 ranked Xavier Musketeers defeated the Virginia Cavaliers 84-70 at the John Paul Jones Arena on the Grounds of the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, VA on January 3, 2009.

Virginia coach Tony Bennett has suspended sophomore center Assane Sene for the first three games of the upcoming men's basketball season. Sene also was not allowed to participate in the closed scrimmage against St. John's that took place yesterday at John Paul Jones Arena.

As a freshman, Sene played in 22 games, averaging 2.5 points and 4.6 rebounds a game. His biggest contribution came in the form of his shot-blocking ability. With a team-high 35 blocked shots, Sene ranked fifth in the ACC.

Bennett did not comment on the specific cause of Sene's suspension but stated in a press release that it was for conduct detrimental to the team.

"We have expectations for the individuals in our program that Assane has not met," Bennett stated in the release.

Because Sene often got into foul trouble during the 2008-09 season, and the Cavaliers have adapted to his absence before. Junior forward Mike Scott occasionally played center last season in Virginia's "small" lineup - something that might be seen more frequently during the Cavaliers' upcoming games.

"This week, the team is preparing for the adjustments we will have to make," senior center Jerome Meyinsse said.

At 7 feet, Sene is the tallest member of the team and was expected to be a prominent presence in the front court this season.\n-compiled by Jack Bird