What is Love?

After reading Ginny Robinson's column ("Love is Propaganda," Feb. 15), I was left feeling quite frustrated - and just as a heads up, this is coming from a straight female.

You brought up a variety of contradictory points within your piece.

First of all, you wrote "To deny the complexity of love by ignoring the variation in human relationships erodes the campaigns validity," while in fact, that is exactly the opposite of what the campaign is promoting. The University's LGBT center is saying that yes, there is variation in love, and that it's not only men and women that can be in love, and more so that love is complex, especially in a world where there are still numerous homophobic individuals.

I find it strange that you are accusing the campaign of being a merely simplistic act of social manipulation rather than spurring intellectual debate, when in fact, you are writing an article intellectually analyzing the campaign as a result of the campaign itself.

You state that there was an "alarming number of students who participated in the campaign without possessing the ability to articulate its message." What basis do you have for this claim? Did you actually survey all the students in possession of a Love is Love shirt? That would have been far more powerful than merely quoting one ignorant student. (The student was also left un-named, so how am I supposed to know if that was in fact ever actually said?)

Also, I think it would have added for more strength to your column if you had actually interviewed a member of the LGBT center to get their opinion on this issue that you wrote about, because I am fairly certain the best pieces of writing try to represent both sides of the issue, or at least give the other side a chance to defend itself before a writer decides to tear them apart.

Sarah Kennelley\nCLAS IV