Fun for a Cause

From bar nights to 5k runs, University students participate in many events to raise money for various causes. But what exactly is the inspiration behind these events? How do organizations choose what kind of event to host to make gains for their individual philanthropies?

Bike to Uganda is just one of many philanthropic events at the University vying for students' attention. Building Tomorrow has held the event at the University for the past four years to raise money to build primary schools for the African nation. This academic year, the event will come to Grounds in April, and stationary exercise bikes will dot the Lawn for the group's annual fundraiser.

Philanthropies such as Bike to Uganda attempt to appeal to students' interests to encourage participation.

"We figured people at U.Va. like to exercise," said Sarah Munford, president of the University's Building Tomorrow chapter.

Participants purchase bike passes, and the goal is for the group to reach the total 7,354 miles it takes to get to Uganda from Charlottesville. Munford likened the event to 5K races some philanthropies hold, explaining that Bike to Uganda is a competitive, exercise-driven fundraiser. In the past, University students even have raced students from other schools such as Virginia Tech, further adding to the excitement and hype.

Organizations such as the Inter-Sorority Council also create events based on this competitive drive seen in many students.

"U.Va. students are active people, and I guess, tend to be competitive, so tournaments are good outlets as well as social events," ISC Community Service Chair Alexis Pennington said.

Sororities' choice of event reflects both what has been lucrative in the past and what appeals to the University community, she said, adding that each sorority is a philanthropic organization and holds at least one philanthropic event each year.

Events range from athletic activities such as Zeta Tau Alpha's 5K for Breast Cancer, Gamma Phi Beta's Crescent Classic soccer tournament and Chi Omega's Golf on Grounds to more social activities involving food and music such as Kappa Delta's Garden Party and Pi Beta Phi's Crab Grab.

Usually a sorority will have a national philanthropy for which to raise money, but chapters will also donate to different philanthropies if they see a need, Pennington said.

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital is another philanthropic organization on Grounds that hosts social events to raise money. Its events include a concert at Observatory Hill Forum, Party with a Purpose at Boylan Heights and Up 'til Dawn, the organization's biggest fundraiser, said Patrick Melmer, a member of the University's St. Jude's Entertainment and Logistics Committee.

Up 'til Dawn, a program run by students at colleges and universities across the nation, helps St. Jude's expand its mailing lists, which is how the hospital receives the majority of its donations, Melmer said.

Students form teams of six and collect new addresses for St. Jude's to add to their mailing list. This year, participants' efforts were rewarded Oct. 22 with a party at Slaughter Recreation Center, featuring music, free food and prizes that included a $500 shopping spree and a free plot at the Foxfield Races.

The party lasted from 7 p.m. until midnight as a show of moral support for parents who stay up all night with their sick children.

"We lose sleep because they lose sleep," Melmer said.

And apart from this symbolic gesture, just one day of competitive or social fun could make a significant financial difference for these organizations.

St. Jude's requires $1.5 million a day to provide free care to pediatric cancer patients, and the organization heavily depends upon fundraisers such as Up 'til Dawn to meet these expenses.

Meanwhile, Bike to Uganda sends 100 percent of all proceeds toward building new Ugandan schools, which cost $45,000 each. The University's chapter is halfway through funding the construction of its second school.

With all the different activities and events on Grounds, philanthropies hope students will be drawn in by these different opportunities to have fun for a good cause.\n"We all feel very strongly about [these] causes and that this is the best way to help them," Melmer said.