Remembering the city of hope

University students honor Ronald Reagan

Last weekend, citizens across the country paid tribute to Ronald Reagan for his 100th birthday. As celebrations took place, the former president's legacy took on new meaning for three University students. Second-year College students Hillary Hurd and Colleen Rigby and fourth-year College student Ellie Castine were all selected for the National Youth Leadership Committee, a program which recognizes future leaders as part of the Ronald Reagan Centennial Celebration.

The committee will hold a series of events throughout 2011 in commemoration of the 40th president. This past weekend, Hurd, Castine and Rigby travelled to Simi Valley, Calif. to participate in the first of these events.

The newly renovated Ronald Reagan Presidential Library hosted the conference and was emceed by former Tennessee senator and actor Fred Thompson. Committee members had the opportunity to get to know one another while they toured the remodeled and updated presidential library, took part in speeches focused on Reagan's legacy and attended a Beach Boys concert.

"The Reagan Presidential Foundation organized such a great weekend for us," Rigby said, "The highlight of the day was definitely the Concert for America ... The Beach Boys really rocked the house." She added that the tour of the Reagan Presidential Library increased her respect for the late president.

The University is one of five colleges that will host events as part of the centennial celebration, alongside schools such as University of Southern California and Notre Dame. Each school was able to select representatives to take part in the Youth Leadership Committee.

The University's Miller Center of Public Affairs is organizing a conference on Reagan's foreign policy and was in charge of selecting the University's student representatives to the committee. Hurd believes that she was selected because of her previous involvement in organizing debates for the Center.

Castine said she was excited to serve on the committee because she has a unique connection to Reagan.

"My dad worked at the White House and was lucky enough to not only meet him, but also spend time with him," she said.

Castine's parents' admiration and memories of Reagan made a large impact on Ellie's childhood, and she even admitted to naming their dog 'Gipper,' the nickname of the late president.

As members of the National Youth Leadership Committee, Hurd, Castine and Rigby are among a diverse group of talented representatives from across the country. Combined, the group has earned 18 Olympic medals, 11 NCAA All-American selections, five NCAA Championships and two certified platinum records.

Notable athletes include Olympic gymnasts Nastia Liukin and Alicia Sacramone, Alabama quarterback Greg McElroy, BYU guard Jimmer Fredette, Indy car racer Marco Andretti and skateboarder Ryan Sheckler.

Princeton senior Genevieve Ryan was chosen to co-chair the Youth Leadership Committee, alongside recording artists Jordin Sparks and Nick Jonas, and Brodi Conover of Georgetown University.\nRyan said she was thrilled to work alongside such famous faces.

"It is inspiring to see how each member has reached out to his or her community, and I am honored to be working with them," she said.

Hurd said she felt a little overwhelmed working with such notable figures. She added she felt a bit out of place when she compared her simple studio senior portrait to action shots of snowboarders and gymnasts, and even Miss USA 2010 Rima Fakih.

"To be honest, I feel like I need to be able to develop some sort of skill in there," she said, laughing.

Castine also said she was encouraged that all of the members share a respect for President Reagan, despite their varied backgrounds and vocations.

The committee members believe that, regardless of party affiliation, the weekend event was a great way to begin the celebration and an opportunity to recognize and reflect on Reagan's time in office.\n"The overall message that I walked away with was President Reagan's core belief that America's best days always lay ahead," Rigby said.

Castine echoed this sentiment, and hopes that allowing students to participate in the event will educate younger generations about Reagan's accomplishments and goals.

"I think some people, particularly our age, overlook celebrating President Reagan's achievements since they are of the past," she said. "However, Reagan always focused on the future and spent a lot of time taking care of tomorrow to create an optimal society for future generations."

The Miller Center for Public Affairs will host the next event in the Reagan Centennial Celebration Saturday in Washington, D.C. "Reagan in the World" will focus specifically on Reagan's foreign policy, and will feature Rt. Hon. Brian Mulroney, former Canadian Prime Minister, as keynote speaker. It will be held at the National Press Club.