Behind the keyhole

Rotunda administrator hopes to bring students inside

Casually navigating world-renowned historic buildings is a perk of being a student at the University. It is nearly impossible to walk near the Lawn without glancing, even briefly, at Thomas Jefferson's Rotunda. The structure has been a preeminent University landmark since its construction in 1826, yet many students still may feel cut off from the site. Since becoming Rotunda administrator, Leslie Comstock has taken steps to ensure that students realize the Rotunda may be one of the most accessible locations on Grounds.

"When I got here eight years ago, one of the things I noticed was the disparity between the amount of students in the building using the Rotunda as opposed to faculty, staff and administration members," Comstock said.

Third-year Nursing student Laura Tiezzi views the Rotunda as an untouchable building, kept at a distance from most students.

"It is just this very old, beautiful building," Tiezzi said. "In my head it's almost as if it were empty and only sits there to be admired by both current students, prospective students, faculty and Charlottesville citizens."

It is this kind of view that Comstock would like to change. She said the leading cause of the disparity between the number of students and faculty in the Rotunda is students' common misconception that the main function of the Rotunda is to sit untouched as a historical site. As the cornerstone of the University and a UNESCO World Heritage Site, it is understandable that many students have a more "hands-off" approach to the Rotunda.

"The average student has a misperception that the Rotunda is only a museum," she said. "We actually host over 700 events per year, many of which may go unnoticed by students."

Comstock explained that the original meaning and purpose of the Rotunda has faded with time. Upon taking office, Comstock sought to reinvigorate student presence in the Rotunda.

"That's what Jefferson designed the Rotunda for - to be used by students," Comstock said. "He set it up as the temple of knowledge."

To increase the Rotunda's appeal to students, Comstock helped to bring wireless Internet access to the Rotunda during her first years as administrator. Students are encouraged to come and study during operating hours in any available room.

Fourth-year Commerce student Dwayne Luquetta is a Rotunda guard.

"My job is to greet all of the guests that come in each day to see the building, help answer any questions guests have about the building or the University, and help set up for any event we may have," Luquetta said in an email.

Offering the perspective of a student, Luquetta said he believes the Rotunda is accessible to students, referencing the Dome Room as a convenient place to study. Luquetta also noted the benefits of hanging around a world famous monument.

"My favorite part [of working at the Rotunda] is meeting people from all over the US and the world that come to see the Rotunda," Luquetta said. "You get to meet new people everyday, and it helps me appreciate the significance of the building seeing how far people travel to visit."

In addition to the hundreds of events it hosts, the Rotunda also sees more than 120,000 visitors per year. Tours are conducted five times a day, seven days a week, including admissions tours.

Tiezzi vaguely remembers learning about the Rotunda during an admissions tour, but now admits that she does not know how to enter the building. She also said she was surprised to find out that students can study in any available room in the building.

"I have never been inside the Rotunda or done anything inside," Tiezzi said. "I've been on the steps but that's not quite the same."

Although Comstock would like students such as Tiezzi to come inside the building, she admits that there are some logistical concerns about the upkeep of the building. She said it is a challenge to preserve the historic authenticity of the Rotunda while making it as useful and accessible as possible to students, faculty and administrators.

"It is a difficult balance because you are constantly monitoring the needs of the building with the growth of events for the University," she said. "Every day there is maintenance."

The staff at the Rotunda works hand-in-hand with historic preservationists and facilities management to cover all the bases in keeping the Rotunda's meeting rooms in top shape.

There is a push to host as many events as possible, but the University community should be wary not to overuse this almost 200-year-old space. To protect the floors, the Board of Visitors created guidelines for general use. The building may accommodate a maximum of 10 dinners per month, and only up to three per week. Rotunda officials do not allow public or commercial events to take place because opening the space to the public could lead to a flood of requests.

Comstock said every guideline is made in the interest of protecting the landmark.

"We need to take steps for historic preservation because we use the Rotunda so much," she said. "If the date and time are available then we use this space as much as possible."

The Rotunda staff acknowledges ways in which students would want to use the space in the building; the Rotunda holds extended hours until 9 p.m. during exams for students to have an alternative space to study instead of overcrowded libraries.

One of the largest issues that student organizations face is reserving space. Rooms and space in the Rotunda become available for reservation on the first day of the preceding year. For example, reservations for any day in 2012 open up for booking January 1, 2011.

Comstock sees real progress as students become more involved in the Rotunda space. Six organizations currently hold regular gatherings in the meeting rooms, and many first-year students begin their time at the University by having dinner with their dorms in the Dome Room. Five classes also have met in the Rotunda during the past year.

Dinners in the Dome Room are the most sought-after events, Comstock said, and reported that 55 of the 80 Dome Room dinners in 2010 were for students or student organizations. She added that dinners in 2010 included 5,268 students, with an additional 4,823 students attending lectures.

"Those numbers are phenomenal," Comstock said.

Despite the astounding number of events already held in the Rotunda, Comstock hopes to see more and more students and student organizations make use of the historic space.

"The Rotunda is more than just the iconic backdrop for the University of Virginia," she said. "It's a place to gather, learn, study and communicate"