Minnifield tabbed as finalist

Virginia football senior cornerback Chase Minnifield nabbed a spot as a top-10 finalist for the Lowe's Senior CLASS Award yesterday as a result of his continued excellence both on and off the gridiron. Minnifield is joined by Clemson senior punter Dawson Zimmerman as the only two members of the ACC to earn a top-10 consideration.

The award recognizes an upperclassman for his superior contributions in regard to classroom performance, exhibition of character, community service participation and on-field success.

This season, the team captain currently boasts a team-high two interceptions - in addition to his other 10 career picks - and has served as a crucial member of the Virginia secondary which ranks No. 1 in the ACC in terms of defending the pass. With Minnfield typically squaring off against opponents' top receiving threats, the Cavaliers are allowing 166.8 yards per game through the air on average and currently rank No. 10 in the NCAA in pass defense efficiency.

Lowe's will hand out the award during the upcoming bowl season.

-compiled by Stacy Kruczkowski