Author talks personal politics

Costigliola discusses leaders

Author Frank Costigliola spoke Friday morning at the Miller Center about his recently released book, "Roosevelt's Lost Alliances: How Personal Politics Helped Start the Cold War," as part of the Gordon and Mary Beth Smyth History Forum.

Costigliola's book discusses the impact of emotions and personal relationships on foreign policy after the end of World War II and during the start of the Cold War.

"The contribution of my book is to trace the political consequences of the relationships, personalities, emotions, sensibilities, and cultural assumptions of the key figures [during World War II and the Cold War]," Costigliola said.

Referencing the presidencies of Franklin Roosevelt and Harry Truman, Costigliola said the presidents' personal lives affected their political decisions, particularly during the "critical junctures" of 1945 and 1946.

Costigliola said Roosevelt, for example, had an intimate relationship with his secretary, Missy LeHand, who became his de facto chief of staff.

Costigliola also discussed the activities of Winston Churchill's daughter-in-law, Pamela Churchill, who had close relationships with multiple U.S. politicians, including one of Roosevelt's closest advisors. Costigliola said these relationships served as a conduit for information between the United States and the prime minister.

"Professor Costigliola sees those [intimate] relationships not simply in the theatre of scandal, in which we are more accustomed to such disclosures today, instead he places them squarely in the center of the most pivotal global decisions of our century," said Doug Blackmon, the chair of the Miller Center's forum program, when he introduced Costigliola.

Friday afternoon Costigliola spoke with a small group of graduate students and professors about emerging trends in the study of diplomatic history. He said his study of foreign relations subverts current academic trends, examining the impact emotional factors have on foreign policy.