Pot-luck possessions

Decriminalizing marijuana will make public resources available for better uses, without having many adverse effects

In recent years, the decriminalization of marijuana has generated widespread support, and states have begun to use this policy to balance \nbudgets and allocate resources. Thirteen states have already decriminalized possession of marijuana, and several others are currently considering this policy. You may be asking: Why have so many states already adopted this legislation? Del. Harvey Morgan (R-Gloucester) has publicly supported decriminalization because current laws "place a huge burden on law enforcement, prisons, and the judicial system." We need more public officials like Morgan in Virginia who put politics aside to focus on sensible and efficient lawmaking. It is in Virginia's best interest to join the growing wave of support for decriminalization and reap the economic and social benefits this policy has to offer.

The most direct effect of decriminalization would be a decrease in state legal fees. Criminal justice employees spend approximately eight hours on every marijuana case. These resources could instead be spent pursuing dangerous, violent offenders who impose direct harm on others. In Massachusetts, for example, the estimated savings in law enforcement would be $29.5 million per year. The savings could be used for a number of alternative purposes, such as balancing the budget, or could be redirected toward preventing more serious violent crime; either option would ultimately produce additional money for public benefit.

Not only would decriminalization redirect resources to more efficient uses, but it would also help to reverse the growing trend of sending nonviolent criminal offenders to prison. The United States has the highest per capita incarceration rate in the world, and the number of inmates in Virginia has grown in recent years. Rather than punishing a nonviolent ex-offender for violating parole, decriminalization would lower prison costs, and the additional resources could be spent on preventing more severe violations.

Although opponents argue that minor marijuana possession does not send individuals to jail, recent data from the Virginia General District Court shows otherwise. In Virginia, there were approximately 13,000 convictions for first-time marijuana possession from 2010 to 2011. Out of this 13,000, nearly 2,500 Virginians - or one out of every five convicted - faced jail time following their first offense. The classification of possession as a criminal offense is a disproportionate punishment in comparison to the cost it has on society. Marijuana use is a purely voluntary behavior which imposes minimal harm on others - only when coupled with cigarette smoking would marijuana use lead to a noticeable increase in public health care costs. \nThe most direct way to maintain criminal justice and protect the civil rights of those in Virginia is through decriminalization.

One important question is whether decriminalization leads to increased use of marijuana. Intuitively, the answer would be yes - the less punishment for a behavior, the more often people will engage in it. On the contrary, the nature of marijuana use and the results of past studies show otherwise. Marijuana use is different from consumption of other drugs for two reasons: Unlike alcohol and tobacco, which are typically used in a daily pattern, marijuana is used more sporadically, usually once a week or once a month. This well-established consumption pattern makes it much less likely for a policy change to affect consumption. Moreover, given that the majority of marijuana users are young males, whose experimental activities typically end in adulthood, decriminalization would be unlikely to change this generational behavior.

A number of studies in multiple states have specifically measured decriminalization's effect on consumption. In a 2003 study at the National Bureau of Economic Research, decriminalization of possession only led to a two percent increase in use among high school students. This is a minor cost in comparison to the benefits of a safer and more just society.

Another major concern is that decriminalization will cause an increase in crime. Although crime and drug use are positively correlated, marijuana is an exception. According to a review of drug control policies, an increase in marijuana use correlates with a decrease in criminal behavior. Alcohol use, on the other hand, is not only linked to crime, but it is strongly linked to violent crime. According to a survey of prisoners from the Department of Justice, "A third of state and a fifth of federal prisoners reported the influence of alcohol only at the time of offense. For both state and federal prisoners, the specific offenses most closely related to alcohol use at the time of offense were violent ones - assault, murder, manslaughter, and sexual assault." Clearly, the costs imposed by alcohol are far greater than the effects of marijuana use. This inconsistency between policy and actual costs must be addressed if Virginia wishes to preserve the integrity of its criminal justice system.

The current laws meant to prohibit marijuana have led to a wide range of public costs which clearly outweigh the benefits. In addition to incarceration, social costs include driver license suspensions, restrictions from student loans, loss of welfare payments, restriction of professional licenses and family conflict. Decriminalizing the possession of marijuana will not only free up the resources of judicial systems and law enforcement, but it will also protect individual rights and personal freedoms.

Evan Vahouny is a fourth year in the Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy.