U.Va. opens new Zion Crossroads Medical Park

45,000 square-foot clinic will provide broader access to care, medical technologies

The first patients officially opened the new University of Virginia Primary and Specialty Care Clinic, a new medical center at Zion Crossroads offering primary and specialty care for the residents of Fluvanna, Louisa and Orange Counties.

The center, which has been under construction for more than a year, is about 45,000 square feet and is large enough to house more than 15 specialty care services and a full-service imaging center, said Wes Campbell, chief of clinical operations for U.Va. Physicians Group.

The specialty care services include sports medicine, cardiology and neurology services, and the location will also have an on-site pharmacy.

In addition, the new medical imaging center in the Zion Crossroads Medical Park will provide patients access to ultrasound, MRI, mammography, CT and digital x-ray technologies.

Campbell said the goal of the new center is to expand the University Health System network to provide increased access to patients within the Health System’s primary service area.

“We saw what was coming as part of the population growth in the Zion Crossroads area and had a desire to make our services more available and more convenient,” Campbell said. “We had an idea to integrate the services in a different way…[and] wanted to get U.Va. physicians into the U.Va. community.”

Campbell said it is important to note that the new facility is neither a hospital nor an emergency department. “It is new and different in the way that the intent is for it to be an integrated, multi-specialty clinic, with some of the diagnostic testing, imaging center and pharmacy all in the same place,” he said.

In cases of emergency, patients will follow current emergency protocols and will likely be transported to the University Medical Center in Charlottesville for treatment, Campbell said. Complex procedures will also continue to be performed at the University Medical Center in Charlottesville, rather than at the Crossroads clinic.

The Center will employ full-time physicians for the Zion Crossroads clinic, as well as physicians who will split their time between Charlottesville and Crossroads.