A cycle coming full circle

May marks the end of one stage, beginning of another

First semester of fourth year is coming to a close, but my conversations are beginning to resemble those of a high school senior. As we wonder about our own futures and where we might be after graduation, we also wonder the same about our classmates. In six short months, we’ll be alumni of this University with the entire world at our fingertips — where will we sail off to?

In high school, the paths for our futures were so diverse. There were the academically-inclined and the naturally-gifted, who went off to really competitive colleges. There were the athletes, who went out-of-state to some Division I football school. There were the kids who never did their homework and ended up at community college, and there were the kids who never really did their homework either, but went to less-than mediocre schools to continue their lifestyles and get a degree somehow.

But when I came to the University, things seemed different. At convocation, it seemed as though we were all from the top of our class, proud to be here, scared to have a roommate and nervous for the first day of classes. After we had all put in our four years, I thought, we would all enter into the workforce — firm in our convictions and career interests — with a sense of unity.

Boy, was I wrong.

As the years passed by, our interests, behaviors and habits have led up to some sense of what we’ll be doing come May. I’ve witnessed just how varied are paths are going to be.

The kid who never stopped raising his hand in discussion first-year is already admitted to a master’s program in international law, and the long-haired Religious Studies student who got you high one time at a party second-year is moving to India to meditate. Your friends who always had biology textbooks in their hands are flying off to medical school interviews, and your Commerce friends are already employed at various investment banks.

I can’t help but be baffled at how much our paths have diverged. Sitting in that chair on top of my nickel during convocation, real life seemed so far away. But, after May, all that connects me and my classmates will be the insignia on our degrees.

Valerie’s column runs biweekly Fridays. She can be reached at v.clemens@cavalierdaily.com.