No. 23 men's golf place fifth at Seminole Intercollegiate

The 23rd-ranked Virginia men’s golf team posted a strong showing this weekend in Tallahassee, Fla., where the squad came in fifth at the Seminole Intercollegiate. Sophomore Derek Bard led the Cavaliers with a 7-under 209 on the weekend.

The 17-team field had numerous top 25 teams, including No. 2 host Florida State, which won the tournament by three strokes. No. 8 South Carolina came in third place. Unranked East Tennessee State placed second, largely thanks to an outstanding effort from junior Gudmundur Kristjansson who shot 17-under on the tournament.

Senior All-American Denny McCarthy helped Bard to pace the Cavaliers to their impressive finish. McCarthy placed ninth with a 5-under 211 to mark his fourth top-10 finish of the 2015 season. Senior Ji Soo Park rounded out the top three Cavaliers, with his 214, which was good for 23rd.

Virginia returns to the course in two weeks, when it travels to Awendaw, SC to compete in the Hootie @Bulls Bay Tournament. Play begins March 29 and continues through March 31.