Men's tennis aces weekend, continues seven-match win streak

The Virginia men’s tennis team is on a roll. The No. 4 Cavaliers (16-3, 8-0 ACC) steamrolled instate adversaries William & Mary and No. 13 Virginia Tech this weekend at the Snyder Tennis Center, running their winning streak to a season-best seven matches.

Virginia kicked off a sunny weekend in Charlottesville with a 7-0 pasting of the Tribe (12-11, 1-0 CAA), the Cavaliers’ sixth shutout win of the season. Every player in the Virginia singles lineup posted a straight-sets victory, with sophomore J.C. Aragone finishing up first on court three.

No. 55 freshman Collin Altamarino dispatched William & Mary freshman Christian Cargill at No. 1 singles, while No. 10 sophomore Thai-Son Kwiatkowski dismissed Tribe sophomore Addison Appleby at the second position. Altamarino also teamed with senior Mitchell Frank for an 8-2 win at No. 3 doubles.

The Cavaliers kept their level high Sunday, downing the Hokies 6-1 to run their ACC winning streak to 132 matches, the longest winning streak by any team in any sport in conference history. Virginia earned the doubles point with Frank and Altamarino’s 8-4 victory on court three and then pulled out five straight singles matches to claim the match.

Kwiatkowski prevailed in a second-set tiebreaker to defeat No. 109 junior Joao Monteiro, and No. 6 junior Ryan Shane followed with a 6-3, 6-4 win against No. 63 junior Amerigo Contini on court two. Only junior Mac Styslinger suffered a loss for Virginia, falling to senior Hunter Koontz in three tight sets.

Virginia plays the last of six consecutive home matches this weekend, taking on Georgia Tech Friday at 3 p.m. and Louisville Sunday at 1 p.m.