​Albemarle County proposes 2016 fiscal year budget

Locan fire rescue, police chiefs expect increased funding, operational updates

<p>The meeting was formatted as a forum for the public to vet their grievances and support of the tenets of the new budget proposal, which outlines expenditures within the county for the upcoming year.</p>

The meeting was formatted as a forum for the public to vet their grievances and support of the tenets of the new budget proposal, which outlines expenditures within the county for the upcoming year.

The Albemarle County Board of Supervisors hosted a meeting Wednesday designed to gauge public perspective on the proposed county budget for the fiscal year 2016. The meeting was held as a public forum for people to voice any concerns about or support for the new budget proposal’s tenets, which outline expenditures within the county for the upcoming year.

The proposed budget for 2016 — totaling approximately $370 million — includes an increased real estate tax and an almost $3 million upgrade package to be used to update the county’s law enforcement and fire and rescue services.

Dan Eggleston, the fire rescue chief for the Albemarle County Department of Fire Rescue, emphasized the department’s crucial need for funding and explained which necessities in particular the tax money will go toward, including protective gear and supporting the volunteer squads.

“What’s being advertised is a two and a half cent increase with one cent dedicated to the fire rescue department,” Eggleston said. “The funding will allow us to purchase personal protective gear, which is what we are lagging right now. We are increasing the annual contributions to volunteer squads so that they may get closer to meeting their operation needs.”

Eggleston said the main purpose of the money is to help the department maintain its current level of operation.

“Revenue will be used to continue and maintain the service we have today,” Eggleston said. “We are not using the funds for any enhancements, not to expand service, but to really maintain what we have right now.”

Colonel Steve Sellers, the chief of police for Albemarle County, also commented on the police force’s plans for the money they will receive. Sellers said he wished to increase the number of patrols out on the field as well as commit more officers to help relieve traffic.

“My request is for five more patrol officers to put out in the field. We are short 27 police officers,” Sellers said. “The money would also go toward adding two more police officer divisions that would go toward mitigating traffic.”

Sellers also said he wished for a salary increase as well as an investment in career development.

“I also asked for a 2.3 percent increase for salaries and a 4.8 percent increase in overtime wages,” Sellers said. “It would also go toward a career development program that has been requested for the last three years.”

The Albemarle Board of Supervisors is required to host a public hearing after proposing the budget each year. However, a consensus will not be reached until the Board reconvenes on April 8 to iron out final details regarding which stipulations receive funding.

Brad Sheffield, the supervisor who represents the Rio District, said although a majority of the budget was locked into core priorities — particularly school districts — there is still around $2.4 million unaccounted for which could come as the result of the implementation of the penny and a half tax. Sheffield said he stressed the importance of maintaining a key eye outside of the core services and seeking room for economic expansion through the budget as well.

“The six of [the Board of Supervisors] are still wrestling with priorities of what is considered core service,” Sheffield said. “Hopefully next year we see more discussion about economic development.”

Some institutions, however, now face newfound difficulties due to the proposed budget. The Legal Aid Justice Center — a nonprofit institution dedicated to providing counseling to those legally underserved — stands to lose a significant portion of their local funding from the proposed budget. Along with the Legal Aid Justice Center, some have expressed concerns over the $750,000 deficit Albemarle School districts currently face between the proposed county budget and their own budget.

Sheffield, who said that the community feedback played a significant role in determining public priorities in the process of formulating the budget proposal, acknowledged the situation of both of these institutions. The Legal Aid Justice Center in particular drew vocal support at Wednesday’s hearing, which Sheffield recognized as indicative of the importance even a small amount of funding can make.

Susan Kruse, director of development at the Legal Aid Justice Center, blamed their lack of funding on a new application process they were required to undertake in order to receive their annual funding. Kruse said the Center faced some logistical difficulties completing the application and is now faced with a situation in which they are unable to adequately pay for an additional attorney.

“[Albemarle County] changed the process [of funding] this year, and our application didn’t fair well with the changes,” Kruse said. “We basically lose half a lawyer from the budget cuts, which could result in 50 people losing their homes.”