Yuck goes with the flow

The band's latest release forsakes originality

In music, there lies a thin line between a satisfying revival and boring repetition. In many ways, the new Yuck release “Stranger Things” falls victim to the latter unfortunate trend.

Recently, it has been almost comical to see the sheer number of bands who have committed themselves to the way of the fuzz pedal and 90s rock vibes. To a degree, this resurgence has been a good thing. The DIY rock scene has seen major growth, producing music with a warmer sound, which hasn’t been widely heard for a while. The flip side of this 90s rock comeback is an unfortunate decrease in originality. What were once cleverly arranged throwbacks to 90s rock tropes have become crutches for an often tired sound.

This is not to say Yuck’s album is not a fun listen. It is unendingly lively, brimming with catchy riffs — still, it presents nothing new.

The sound of “Stranger Things” is laid-back and thick with reverb. In many ways, the album is cohesive to an excessive degree. Each song seems to be but a slight alteration of the last, with a few chords switched out and a new riff added. At times the album sounds like a single fuzzy, drawn-out major chord.

Yuck’s adoption of this dime-a-dozen sound is strange. Their impeccable first release featured far more uniquely arranged guitar elements, a clearer and more focused sound and perpetually poignant lyrics. Their debut album displayed a powerful and distinctive voice which fans were hoping would persist in coming records. With this most recent release, it seems as if Yuck has shed their introspective Dinosaur Jr.-esque sound for one that is more easily digested by today’s listeners.

Though the departure from Yuck’s original sound is disappointing, “Stranger Things” has its merits. “Like a moth I see you, burning like a flame / when I try to approach you, I get burnt away,” sings vocalist Max Bloom on the track “Like a Moth.” Laid upon cheerily strummed guitars, the song is catchy while also displaying the quirky songwriting that originally made the band popular. Other moments on the album shine in a similar manner, yet are not enough to pull “Stranger Things” out of its repetitive routine.

Overall, Yuck’s most recent album is just another iteration of the fuzz-rock revival trend with unfortunately infrequent hints of the band’s original personality interspersed throughout.