No. 8 women’s soccer seeks win after second overtime tie

Virginia awaits next ACC matchup against Pittsburgh

Over the weekend the No. 8 Cavaliers (8-2-2, 1-1-2 ACC) played No. 13 North Carolina to a 1-1 draw. Although Virginia led for most of the game, the Tar Heels (6-2-3, 1-1-2 ACC) scored the tying goal in the 82nd minute to send the game into double overtime.

The tie was the most recent match in a series of challenging games for the Cavaliers. This difficult patch in the schedule has resulted in Virginia recording its last win nearly three weeks ago. However, the team is confident in where it stands, and is optimistic about its potential.

“We are in a very good place,” junior defender Megan Reid said. “We are getting better every single game. We are just better as a unit for longer periods of time. We are coming together piece by piece, and it should go well.”

One challenge the Cavaliers have had to face this year has been incorporating new members of the team into the system. Though it’s a difficult task, as the season has progressed, the Cavaliers have been more and more successful in building the team.

“We have a lot of new faces and a lot of underclassmen, so we are still integrating, but I think we are doing a really good job with that,” Reid said. “I think we need to find our rhythm, and it’s been going well and we’ve been doing a lot of things right. It is a learning process ... and we have been getting better each week."

The Cavaliers aren’t the only team looking to avoid a winless streak. The Panthers (1-9-1, 0-3-0 ACC) come to Charlottesville Thursday night looking to snap a eight-game losing streak with a win at Klöckner Stadium. Although Pittsburgh has been in a rough patch, it recently played No. 2 Florida State to a close match, only losing by two goals. If the Panthers can maintain strong defense and get their offense to generate opportunities, they can pose a serious threat for Virginia.

After Thursday night, the Cavaliers will prepare for two tough road games against Notre Dame and then Duke.