Wrestling falls to No. 7 NC State, 23-10

<p>Senior Will Mason pulled off an upset victory, but&nbsp;Virginia fell to No. 7&nbsp;NC State&nbsp;23-10 for their second conference loss in as many matches.&nbsp;</p>

Senior Will Mason pulled off an upset victory, but Virginia fell to No. 7 NC State 23-10 for their second conference loss in as many matches. 

No. 25 Virginia (8-5, 0-2 ACC) played on their home mats Jan. 29, but were unable to overcome the depth of the Wolfpack (10-1, 3-0 ACC). The Cavaliers lost against No. 7 NC State with a score of 23-10.

Virginia was only able to take wins in three of the 10 matchups, with their biggest win coming at 125 pounds. Freshman Jack Mueller pulled off a huge victory to give the Cavaliers hope in the matchup.

The dual match was even tied 7-7 at one point when senior Will Mason pulled off an upset victory at 133 pounds.

After the tie, the Wolfpack rattled off four straight wins to break away from the Cavaliers. NC State won bonus points at two weight classes — 285 and 141 — to really extend their lead.

In the end, the Cavaliers were unable to rise above a top-10 opponent, but they certainly were able to garner some positives from the way they competed.

Looking forward, Virginia will need to use their experience this weekend to prepare for road matches at North Carolina Feb. 4 at 7 p.m. and Duke Feb. 5 at 2 p.m.