Virginia hires Carla Williams as new athletic director

Williams will become the first female African-American athletics director among Power 5 conference schools

<p>Carla Williams, Virginia's incoming athletics director, will become the first female African-American athletics director among Power 5 conference schools.</p>

Carla Williams, Virginia's incoming athletics director, will become the first female African-American athletics director among Power 5 conference schools.

The search for the University’s new athletics director has concluded, with the school selecting Carla Williams as the successor to Craig Littlepage. She will become the first female African-American athletics director among Power 5 conference schools.

Williams comes to Virginia after spending the last 13 years with the athletics department of the University of Georgia, most recently as the school’s deputy athletics director. As a Georgia alumna, Williams was an All-SEC guard on the Bulldogs’ women’s basketball team. Over the course of her administrative career, she has garnered immense respect from the collegiate athletics community, having served on multiple NCAA committees.  

Williams will be filling Littlepage’s vacancy after his official retirement, which he announced in September. Littlepage has served as Virginia’s athletics director for the past 16 years, ushering in a successful stretch of performance for Cavalier sports teams that he led with his “Uncompromised Excellence” mantra. His initiatives have also led to high marks in both funding for athletics programs and student-athlete graduation rate. Both current University President Teresa Sullivan and her successor, President-Elect James Ryan, participated in the search process that ultimately led to William’s hire after a month of searching.

With all of Virginia’s recent successes in athletics and a football program that looks to be on the rise, Williams will look to continue the strong culture of athletic success instituted by Littlepage when she takes over.