City Councilor Kathy Galvin announces candidacy for House of Delegates Seat

Galvin will be challenging Batten Assistant Prof. Sally Hudson for the 57th District appointment

<p>Galvin graduated from the University with a Master’s of Architecture and is an adjunct faculty member in the Architecture School.&nbsp;</p>

Galvin graduated from the University with a Master’s of Architecture and is an adjunct faculty member in the Architecture School. 

Kathy Galvin, a city councilor and adjunct professor at the University’s School of Architecture, officially announced her bid to run for the Virginia House of Delegates Seat for the 57th District — which covers the City of Charlottesville and parts of Albemarle County —  in a public speech March 14. Galvin will be challenging Sally Hudson, an assistant professor of public policy, education and economics at the Frank Batten School of Leadership and Public Policy. 

Galvin and Hudson are running to succeed Del. David Toscano (D-Charlottsville), who announced his retirement from the General Assembly in February. 

Galvin’s tenure in public service began at her children’s elementary school, Johnson Elementary. Since then, she has served on the Charlottesville City School Board and is currently serving her second term on the Charlottesville City Council.

As part of her campaign platform, Galvin hopes to raise Virginia’s minimum wage to $15 an hour, an increase which University President Jim Ryan recently made a priority at the University. She also hopes to expand public transportation systems and make housing more accessible by passing inclusionary zoning legislation and funding affordable housing programs. Galvin believes that change starts at the local level.

“Creating quality, affordable housing and healthy, inclusive places to live have been my life’s work as an architect and urban designer,” Galvin said. “That perspective when combined with my experience as a local legislator, small business owner and parent, tells me that that the General Assembly can and must help facilitate positive change at the local level.”

In addition to her life in public service, Galvin teaches urban planning courses in the Architecture school. Galvin said her teaching did not influence her choice to run for public office, but it did help shape her campaign platform and current work.

“Although teaching did not influence my decision to run, that experience has informed how I crafted many of my policies and initiatives to promote equity and sustainability as a Charlottesville City Councilor and will continue to inform my work as a state-level legislator should the good people of the 57th District elect me,” Galvin said.