Attempted abduction, forcible fondling reported to University police determined false

The complainant admitted to University police that the incident did not occur

Ben Rexrode, UPD community service and crime prevention sergeant, requested that anyone with information to contact UPD. This incident remains under investigation.

Update: Gloria Graham, the University's associate vice president of safety and security, announced in an email to the U.Va. community Tuesday evening that the alleged attack did not occur and the complainant admitted to police that the report was false. U.Va. police will consult with the Albemarle County Commonwealth Attorney’s Office to determine if criminal charges will be filed.

The University Police Department responded to a report of an attempted abduction and forcible fondling at 180 Copeley Rd. Saturday evening. The University’s Childcare Development Center, which provides childcare services for University faculty, staff and students, is located at the address UPD released. 

The suspect vehicle is an older model Honda Civic, dark in color, with damage to the front quarter panel. The suspect vehicle is said to have been occupied by five males, whom fled towards Emmet Street following the alleged crime. The University community was alerted through a series of messages by U.Va. Alerts.