Volleyball defeats Boston College in straight sets on Senior Night

The Cavaliers received contributions from their entire senior class in the 3-0 victory

<p>Senior middle blocker Chino Anukwuem had a match-high 10 blocks.</p>

Senior middle blocker Chino Anukwuem had a match-high 10 blocks.

The Virginia volleyball team defeated Boston College (19-10, 10-6 ACC) in straight sets Friday night at Memorial Gymnasium. It was the final home game of the season for the Cavaliers (12-18, 4-13 ACC), who honored four players on Senior Night.

Senior libero Kelsey Miller returned to the court for the Cavaliers and served the first point of the match. Miller had been out with a knee injury since early October, but Virginia gave her the opportunity to play one last point in her career. Miller’s return sparked the Cavaliers, as they went on a 5-0 run to open the match.

The Cavaliers built on that early lead and cruised to a 25-16 first set victory. They followed that up with a 25-19 victory in the second set, powered by a big run in the middle of the set.

The third set went down to the wire. Boston College held a 20-17 lead late in the set, but Virginia went on a 3-0 run to tie the score. Virginia then scored five of the next seven points to take the set 25-22 and sweep the match in straight sets.

The Cavaliers dominated at the net, as they recorded a season-high 16 blocks and held Boston College to a .056 hitting percentage. Virginia recorded a hitting percentage of .260.

The senior class came up big for the Cavaliers, as they led the team in almost every major category. Senior right side hitter Jelena Novakovic led the team with 11 kills, and senior middle blocker Chino Anukwuem tallied a match-high 10 blocks. Senior setter Jennifer Wineholt also led all players in the match with 18 assists.

Virginia will finish its season with a match against Virginia Tech Wednesday. The Cavaliers won the prior meeting between the teams back in September at Memorial Gymnasium. The match is set to begin at 4:30 p.m. and will be broadcast on ACC Network Extra.