Virginia volleyball staff relieved of their duties effective immediately

The Cavaliers’ 2020-21 season is over after a short review of a personnel matter

<p>The Cavaliers were previously set to play six more matches this spring — all of which are now canceled.&nbsp;</p>

The Cavaliers were previously set to play six more matches this spring — all of which are now canceled. 

Lea en español

The entire Cavalier coaching staff has been relieved of its coaching duties, effective immediately, Virginia Athletics announced Thursday. This includes Coach Aaron Smith, Assistant Coach Joe Klein, Director of Volleyball Operations Kelsea Kalich and Nikki Daily, assistant coach and recruiting coordinator.

This news follows a Wednesday announcement that the staff was put on paid administrative leave pending a review of a personal matter and that two upcoming matches were canceled.

Not even 34 hours later, Director of Athletics Carla Williams announced that the volleyball staff have all been relieved of their coaching duties. This ended the remainder of Virginia’s season — which included two home matches and four away matches.

“While I am unable to comment on the details, I do want to commend our student-athletes for their leadership and express my gratitude for how they have handled a very difficult situation,” Williams said. “We will continue to support them as our program moves forward.”

The investigation comes after the Cavaliers spent the weekend playing two away matches at Miami. This spring, Virginia had the opportunity to play five matches, winning only one. On the season as a whole, the Cavaliers were 2-12 and 0-11 in the ACC.

Virginia will now attempt to rebuild its program from the ground up. The search for a new coach will begin immediately.