U.Va. to build $300 million biotechnology institute

$100 million in funding comes from a gift from investors Paul and Diane Manning

<p>The centerpiece of the new Paul and Diane Manning Institute of Biotechnology will be a high-tech facility centered at Fontaine Research Park.&nbsp;</p>

The centerpiece of the new Paul and Diane Manning Institute of Biotechnology will be a high-tech facility centered at Fontaine Research Park. 

The University announced plans for a $300 million biotechnology institute Friday, funded in large part by a $100 million gift from Charlottesville investors Paul and Diane Manning. The first phase of the institute will be additionally funded by an initial investment of $50 million from the state and $150 million from the University.

“Our goal is to have the best possible medicine — next-generation medicine — for the residents of Virginia and people around the globe,” Paul said. “We’re building a world-class facility that will compete with anybody … in terms of research, manufacturing and treatment.”

The centerpiece of the new Paul and Diane Manning Institute of Biotechnology will be a high-tech facility centered at Fontaine Research Park — additional details about the facility will be announced at a later date. Per the release, the institute’s aim is to benefit patients through “translational” research, including advancements in drug delivery and cellular and gene therapies. The Manning Institute is also expected to have a strong economic impact on the region.

In 2021, the University acquired full ownership of Novant Health U.Va. Health System, which included control of the facilities and assets of three hospitals in the state. These three hospitals had been previously controlled by a multi-state nonprofit based in North Carolina. 

The University also hosts a number of other medical research efforts, including the U.Va. Health Cancer Center — the only one in the state that is designated by the National Cancer Institute as a Comprehensive Cancer Center known for leadership in the field. 

“We live in an incredibly exciting time of discovery in medicine — and the Manning Institute will ensure U.Va. remains at the forefront of research and patient care,” University President Jim Ryan said. “Paul and Diane Manning’s extraordinary gift will mean new treatments and therapies for the patients who need them most, and I’m immensely grateful for their generosity and vision.