Johnson, Malone, Weedon dorm rooms reach internal temperatures of over 80 degrees

Residents voice concerns over lack of University response and environmental concerns

Glover said the decision to transition to heating is difficult during fall seasonal transitions when unseasonal heat waves can occur.

Students living in Johnson, Malone, Weedon Houses have reported internal temperatures in their rooms of over 80 degrees in the last week due to an unexpected heat wave. Students reported frustration with living conditions and the University’s response.

JMW Houses, similar to others on Grounds, use a 2-pipe HVAC system, meaning the same pipe is used for both hot and cold water. In effect, this means the system cannot heat and cool at the same time. 

University spokesperson Bethanie Glover said in a statement to The Cavalier Daily that  Housing and Residence Life works closely with Facilities Management to monitor temperature forecasts and determine the most appropriate time to transition from cooling to heating, which this year occurred Oct. 12 due to consistent forecasts of 40-degree lows. 

However, days later, temperatures outside were back to highs in the 80s, which has led to higher-than-normal indoor temperatures in students’ dorm rooms. 

William Kaiser, JMW resident and second-year Engineering student, began a petition to urge Facilities Management to lower the nighttime heat settings. 

“We deserve comfortable living conditions that promote good health and are environmentally responsible,” Kaiser said in the petition statement

In the petition, which gained over 300 signatures, Kaiser explained that indoor heat is detrimental to students’ health for reasons such as worsened sleep. The heat also has a negative effect on the dorm environment by allowing for mold growth. 

Kaiser said JMW residents and Resident Advisors reached out to HRL and Facilities Management to get the heating switched off, but they were told to wait for cooler weather, which he said he was frustrated by. 

“It's very callous and it shows a general disregard for well-being,” Kaiser said. 

Glover said the decision to transition to heating is difficult during fall seasonal transitions when unseasonal heat waves can occur. She said that the University appreciates residents’ patience. 

Kaiser met with HRL Wednesday to discuss the situation and was encouraged to have resident’s fill out work orders when they felt hot in their rooms. Anyone living in an on-Grounds residence may fill out a work order to request maintenance for any issues with the facility. These work orders don’t have any required timeline for completion. 

Kaiser said work orders don’t guarantee an effective solution to the problem.

“The problem is not lack of awareness but rather a lack of effective action,” Kaiser said in the petition. 

This upcoming week, outside temperatures are expected to reach highs in the 70s.