McDonnell speaks to Batten students

Virginia governor addresses political career, defines effective leadership characteristics

Gov. Bob McDonnell addressed students in Garrett Hall Friday evening, discussing his political career and the characteristics of effective leadership.

McDonnell — welcomed as the 2013 Batten Graduate Council Class speaker — advised students on how to establish a foundation for a successful organization. Success in any field — including business or politics — requires leaders to exercise humility, he said.

“Every organization is going to have some talented people in there that are going to get some big things done,” McDonnell said. “But what direction the organization is going to take is determined by organization, strategy and what leaders [are] at the top.”

Recent controversy within the federal government, McDonnell said, has been the result of a lack of accountability. “In Washington, there’s a lot of finger pointing…and that’s why we’re getting precious little done,” McDonnell said. “People hold me specifically accountable [as governor] for many things. When you’re closer to people, you govern better.”

McDonnell said one of the greatest challenges the next Virginia governor will face will be maintaining effective communication with the federal government, particularly in dealing with sequestration. “What the [next] governor is going to have to do is say, ‘How do I work with the federal government to help them cut down spending?’” McDonnell said. “We have 19 military bases [in Virginia]. We have an immense amount of federal resources based in Virginia.”

McDonnell concluded by advising students to “dream big” and take advantage of available opportunities. “Do not let anybody put limits on you and tell you there are things you cannot do,” McDonnell said. “There’s this idea that if you work hard and use your God-given talents…the sky’s the limit. In America, we don’t believe in limits.”