Special committee selects Israel Vaughan for Crispell Memorial Lawn Room

Third-year student says he is surprised, honored

<p>In working with the Crispell family in recent years, the committee has begun to instead award the room to a rising fourth-year student who best exemplifies the joy and sense of community John Crispell brought to the Lawn.</p>

In working with the Crispell family in recent years, the committee has begun to instead award the room to a rising fourth-year student who best exemplifies the joy and sense of community John Crispell brought to the Lawn.

A special committee selected third-year Batten student Israel Vaughan to live in Lawn Room 1 West, the John K. Crispell Memorial Room.

The committee has in the past awarded the room to an outstanding pre-health student, however in working with the Crispell family in recent years, the committee has moved to instead award the room to a rising fourth-year student who best exemplifies the joy and sense of community John Crispell brought to the Lawn, and can help to bring the Lawn and University communities together through his or her residence in the Crispell Room.

All students who applied to live on the Lawn were eligible for consideration. A committee overseen by Pat Lampkin, the vice president and chief student affairs officer, assembled to evaluate the pool of students who best met the criteria for the Crispell Room and selected Vaughan from a group of finalists for the upcoming year.

Vaughan, a public policy and drama double major, is a member of the Virginia Gentlemen and played on the Virginia football team during his first two years at the University.

Vaughan said he doesn’t know what he did to deserve this honor.

“I cried when I got the letter,” Vaughan said. “ I’m still kind of in a daze about the whole thing. I’m just really surprised and really honored.”

Vaughan said while he wanted to at least apply to live on the Lawn, he had no idea he would be selected.

“I wouldn’t be able to live it down if I didn’t give myself a chance at least [at applying],” Vaughan said. “U.Va. has done so much for me so … I’m glad I was given the opportunity to do this.”