UPC Murder Mystery dinners sell out in 45 minutes

Annual event features a catered dinner and performance by The Whethermen

<p>UPC's annual Murder Mystery Dinners featuring The Whethermen sold out in 45 minutes this year.</p>

UPC's annual Murder Mystery Dinners featuring The Whethermen sold out in 45 minutes this year.

When most University students sit down to dinner with their friends, classes and social life are major topics of discussion. Attendees of University Programs Council’s Murder Mystery Dinner found their dinner conversations a bit more unusual.

“We have [had] the Murder Mystery for multiple years now — it’s become an annual UPC event,” third-year College student and Late Night Committee Director Madeline Houck said. “It’s something the students really look forward to every year.”

UPC hosted two Murder Mystery Dinners on Oct. 15 and Oct. 22 in the Garden Room of Hotel E. Both dinners featured a meal and corresponding murder mystery performance by comedy improv group The Whethermen.

Houck said a total of 119 tickets were available for sale to the general public, and the two nights sold out in 45 minutes.

“I was pretty incredulous when I heard that it sold out in 45 minutes, especially considering we had twice as many tickets this year,” Houck said.

For those who attended, the entertainment began the minute they walked through the door.

While guests waited to receive food, The Whethermen mingled with the audience. The comedy troupe remained in character the entire night.

Once the audience had a chance to enjoy their dinner and learn more about the characters sitting at the table with them, a UPC member unexpectedly “died” and the murder mystery plot prepared by the actors was set in motion.

Members of The Whethermen began preparing for the show over the summer by brainstorming ideas for a theme. The most intense period of preparation occurred during rehearsals, which took place through the two weeks leading up to the first performance. Some aspects of the show were scripted, while others were not.

“We thought through the order of events and came up with some jokes beforehand, but most of the actual conversation and dialogue during the shows is improvised,” second-year College student and Whethermen actor Lucie Lyon said.

Fourth-year Commerce student and Whethermen actor Matthew Doyle enjoyed acting in this type of improvisational setting.

“[The show is] an exercise in reacting, coming up with things on the spot and really exploring a character like you wouldn’t be able to in a scripted performance,” Doyle said.

From the actors’ perspectives, putting on the shows for their peers was a major success.

“The performance was awesome,” Lyon said. “Everyone was so committed to their characters, and we had a really high energy level.”

For the UPC event organizers, the event was also a success.

“The Whethermen were absolutely hilarious, the skit was just amazing and the plot of the murder mystery was easy to follow, but at the same time you were surprised when you found out who the murderer was,” Houck said.