U.Va. ranked 24th in Open Doors study abroad report

Student program participation expected to increase next year

<p>Students traveled to Costa Rica to&nbsp;learn about ecotourism as part of a semester-long course on sustainability.</p>

Students traveled to Costa Rica to learn about ecotourism as part of a semester-long course on sustainability.

The 2015 Open Doors Report released Nov. 16 ranked the University of Virginia 24th on a list of universities awarding credit for study abroad, ranked by total number of students studying abroad.

The report contains a comprehensive summary of data on American students studying abroad as well as international students studying in the United States, said Marianne Craven, acting deputy assistant secretary for academic programs at the U.S. Department of State, in an email statement.

“The Department of State has funded this survey since 1972 because it is the essential resource for anyone seeking to understand trends in international education,” Craven said.

The number of international students at U.S. colleges and universities had the highest rate of growth in 35 years, increasing by 10 percent to a record high of 974,926 students in the 2014-15 academic year, according to the report.

The University’s achievement is noteworthy not just for being 24th in the nation for sending American students abroad, but for being one of the smallest institutions ranked on the list, Dudley Doane, director of the international studies office said.

“I think in recent years University leaders and other leaders have really worked hard and have effectively delivered a message to students that students should seriously consider study abroad,” Doane said.

Doane also said he expects numbers to continue to increase over the next few years.

“We saw a 12 percent jump in the 2013-14 period, [and a] nine percent [increase] for the 2014-15 period, so I can imagine seeing another increase,” Doane said.

This is especially likely considering the number of students expected to attend J-Term this year is 280, compared to 175 students last year, Doane said.

However, several other factors contribute to students’ decisions to study abroad, Doane also said.

“We need to remember that study abroad student ability is subject to a number of shocks: geopolitical, economic, and we’ve certainly received a lot of bad news,” Doane said. “Those kinds of events can certainly have a negative impact on our capacity.

In addition to being recognized in the Open Doors Report, the University received one of five Paul Simon Comprehensive Awards, which honors colleges and universities making progress toward “comprehensive internationalization.”

Comprehensive internationalization, according to a NAFSA report by John Hudzik, is a commitment to infuse international and comparative perspectives throughout the teaching, research and service missions of higher education.

Both Doane and Craven said they believe studying abroad is an incredibly useful venture for developing students for the future.

“[We] want to prepare our students for life in a world where geographic and cultural borders are crossed, recognized, and understood.” Doane said. “I think study abroad is an effective way of developing…[a] skillset and awareness for bettering their lives.”

Craven said American students who study abroad “gain new perspectives and begin to establish networks that will enhance their individual prospects in the global.”