Vice Mayor Bellamy’s tweets spark outcry at Council meeting

City Council meeting features heated debate in the public comments

<p>During the city council meeting, Bellamy addressed his tweets and apologized to the council and the community.&nbsp;</p>

During the city council meeting, Bellamy addressed his tweets and apologized to the council and the community. 

The Charlottesville City Council meeting featured an apology from Vice Mayor Wes Bellamy regarding homophobic, sexist and anti-white tweets he published. The tweets, made public last month, were the main point of conversation in the public comments portion of the meeting.

Charlottesville Mayor Mike Signer opened the meeting with a call for civility from the crowd that filled the council room.

The code of conduct and respect guidelines “are not just words,” Signer said. “They are values.”

Signer also emphasized the importance of the public comment period to the community.

“We will be hearing from our critics,” Signer said. “And that is how it should be.”

Bellamy then apologized publicly for his discriminatory tweets. He told the community that he is indebted to the community and understands that the tweets were made when he was young.

“I owe this city and this area everything,” Bellamy said, “including an apology.”

Bellamy concluded with saying that he has been changed by going through the scandal.

“I have truly learned the meaning of humility and grace,” Bellamy said.

Bellamy then asked the people present to judge him based on his current actions, not by his past. His speech was met with mainly applause from the audience.

The council voiced their support for Bellamy, describing him as a good citizen and coworker.

Councilman Bob Fenwick voiced especially strong support, vowing to oppose any punitive measures proposed against Bellamy. He spoke of Bellamy’s impact on the community as an example of his character, and concluded by promising “I will not abandon a public servant.”

Councilwomen Kathy Galvin and Kristin Szakos both reiterated support for Bellamy.

“Yes, those past tweets were disturbing,” Galvin said. “But that is the past.”

The public comments showed just how divided public opinion is, with some showing support but others calling for Bellamy to either step down or be removed.

Multiple residents spoke out against both Bellamy and the council.

Jason Kessler, the blogger who originally criticized Bellamy for the tweets, introduced a petition to have Bellamy removed from City Council. Kessler was met with a mixture of boos and cheers from the crowd.

As Kessler finished speaking, he pointed at Bellamy and said “your days are numbered,” Szakos said.

Szakos reported the statements as threatening to the police in the room as Signer quieted the crowd and explained that the council does not actually have the power to dismiss any members.

The next speaker called out Kessler for his own potentially racist and discriminatory tweets, as well as Kessler’s connection to right-wing groups. The statements were again met with a mixture of boos and cheers as the speaker gave his support to Bellamy.

Following the contentious public comment section, Szakos read the proposed Statement of Principle for the city of Charlottesville. The statement focused on inclusivity and rejecting discrimination and hate speech.

Tolerance and inclusion are “critical to the success of our city and nation,” Szakos said.

Charlottesville needs to “welcome all people,” Bellamy said, and “become a city that is inclusive to everyone.”