No. 13 men’s lacrosse to take on Vermont

The Cavaliers will look to bounce back after a tough loss last weekend against Duke

<p>Virginia sophomore midfielder Dox Aitken has asserted an imposing presence on the offensive end for the Cavaliers, with 31 goals this season.</p>

Virginia sophomore midfielder Dox Aitken has asserted an imposing presence on the offensive end for the Cavaliers, with 31 goals this season.

The No. 13 Virginia men’s lacrosse team travels to New Canaan, Conn. this Saturday to play against Vermont. The game will be played at Dunning Stadium on the campus of New Canaan High School.

The Cavaliers (9-4, 1-3 ACC) come into the game in desperate need of another non-conference victory to bolster their NCAA Tournament hopes. Their loss against Duke last weekend ended any hopes of a conference title, and they will look to bounce back from that performance last Saturday.

Vermont (10-2, 3-2 America East) started the season red-hot, winning its first seven-consecutive games. The Catamounts, however, have dropped two of their last five contests including their last game, in which they lost to conference opponent Stony Brook in double overtime. They need to win against Virginia to have their postseason hopes resurrected.

Thus, this non-conference contest is essentially a must-win for both teams. It was named the Intercollegiate Men’s Lacrosse Coaching Association Game of the Week.

The two teams haven’t met since 2013, a game Virginia won 12-10 at Klöckner Stadium. The Cavaliers are undefeated in the all-time series, 6-0.

This Vermont team is talented, however, and will be no easy matchup away from home. The Catamounts have eclipsed 10 wins under Coach Chris Felt for the first time since 1997. Leading Vermont’s attack is senior midfielder Ian MacKay who has 30 goals and 16 assists on the year.

Virginia’s deadly attack is led by sophomore attackman Michael Kraus, who has 36 goals and 32 assists on the year after picking up four goals and five assists last Saturday against Duke. Sophomore midfielder Dox Aitken has also asserted an imposing presence on the offensive end, with 31 goals this season.

Expect a hotly-contested battle in New Canaan. Faceoff begins at 1 p.m.